Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
What kind of wheeling do you do? How often? How much more expensive is it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't done much since I moved but would like to start going at least once or twice a month for a weekend each trip. And the ones that I've seen are like a hundred dollars more than stock. What do you think?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
A few details about your Jeep equipment would help.
If you are not into boulder crawling on a regular basis (every other weekend minimum) than stick with stock. It will hold up well for average wheeling.
If you have lockers front and rear, rolling on big stickies, full cage crawler, definitely go for the other one.
I do some pretty gruesome trails over boulders and up steep hills and deep water with my stock clutch and have never even smelled it.
It's about gearing and driving ability.
If you have the extra cash, I would put it elsewhere on the Jeep where you would get more benefit.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only aftermarket I have on the jeep is a black diamond 3.5" lift that's it. So I think I'm Gunna go with stock, I appreciate your help. What do you think about a coil over conversion on my yj?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I think if you have the money and time and you think it's what you want you should do it.
Personally I have no desire to throw money at something like that for my YJ.
I assume since you did a lift you have larger tires too.
In my opinion the best money you could throw at your Jeep is a locker in the front differential. Hands down my favorite mod on mine.
It changed my Jeeps capability night to day. I just put in an Aussie locker. They run about $280 and are worth more than every penny.
Upgrading your rear axle to an 8.8 Ford Explorer axle that will not let you down in the middle of no place like your Dana 35 you have now will eventually do. Unless you are still rolling on 31's.
Do mods to your Jeep that enhance it's safety and dependability first, then start souping it up to make it more capable of getting you out of the trouble you are driving into when you go off into the wilderness.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason why I'm toying with that idea is because I'm not getting much flex, granted I know it's a yj with leaf's but I know you can still get a pretty good amount of flex out of leaf's.

Ya I've heard about the 8.8 swap and started to look for one before I left for basic and since you said something I completely forgot about it 😝

How do you like that Aussie locker? What made you choose that brand?
Sort about all the questions your pretty much the only person who has replied to my post's

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
No apologies needed. It's why we are here.
I chose the Aussie locker for the low cost, ease of installation, less likely to have something fail like an air line or broken wire, and they have a great track record for dependability. It works great and changed the performance of my Jeep tremendously.
Selectable lockers are great, don't get me wrong, but my Jeep is a toy, and I don't want to throw money at it, I just want performance.
So far so good, it performs VERY well.
As far as flex..... Do you still have your track bars installed? Do you have sway bar disconnects? Those two things will limit your flex a lot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I still have my track bar, do I need that since my jeep is a daily driver? I have been looking for disconnects for a while, it's kind of hard to look for after market parts for our jeeps because everything is geared toward these new jk's ya know

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yes I still have my track bar, do I need that since my jeep is a daily driver? I have been looking for disconnects for a while, it's kind of hard to look for after market parts for our jeeps because everything is geared toward these new jk's ya know
Loose the track bars. Your ride will improve and so will your flex. If it is your daily driver, keep the sway bar for road stability but get quick disconnects for more off road flex.
You do not need the track bars. They were put there to make Ralph Nader happy. The CJs had roll over problems because of the narrow track axles and narrow leaf springs.
The YJ has wider, thicker leaf springs and a wider axle. Just make sure your spring bushings are n good shape and the shackle bolts are tightened to the recommended specs.
Without the track bars you will not notice any difference on the road except a smoother ride. The body roll will remain the same. The body roll changes when you disconnect the sway bar. Not good for high speed driving but low speed off road is fine.
Check with our vendors here for the disconnects. You can get a better deal as a user here.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you possibly give me a rundown on how to remove my track bars please. And am I losing both front and rear or just front? Who are some of the vendors in the site so I can try an get with them for some disconnects

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Removing the track bars, both front and rear is a three beer job. Easy but time consuming.
Buy a couple cans of PB Blaster. Amazing stuff. I keep three cans of it around my ranch and use it often.
Spray the track bar bolts a day before you intend to loose them.
The track bars are a bar about a yard long that go from your frame at an angle to your axle housing. They are about one inch in diameter.
Remove the bolts at the top and bottom. they may need persuading with a BFH but you are not going to use the bolts again any way.
Some people have had to cut them out with a sawzall if the corrosion is really bad under there. Never be afraid to approach your Jeep with a BFH or a sawzall.
Once you remove the track bars and put them in the trash (no reason to keep them unless you need to melt them down for a boat anchor).
Have one more beer for me.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Ooops. Forgot you asked about vendors.
At the top of this page click "Forum". Then go to "Vendor Showcase" and start looking around. The vendors are very helpful and will get you exactly what you need at the best price they can.
They support this site so patronize them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so in other words no death wobble for the yj and my rides Gunna improve and I'm Gunna drink some beer for you and I sounds good thanks for the advice on this greatly appreciated

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Death wobble is more indigenous to Jeeps with coil springs in the front. If you get death wobble in your YJ it's not because you don't have track bars. You have much bigger issues like bent wheels, bad steering box, misaligned axles, etc... Jeeps with curlers holding them up have to have a track bar. You do not.
And I like Blue Moon.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright that sounds awesome they are coming off very soon,
I've never tried blue moon I'm a Budweiser man myself might try the moon

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Alright that sounds awesome they are coming off very soon,
I've never tried blue moon I'm a Budweiser man myself might try the moon
Blue Moon Seasonal Blend is the best. If you like Bud you will love Blue Moon.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Some? Try a lot! Cheers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts