Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new of owning my first Jeep TJ (2006), I have the center console out and see that you can put a speaker in it but I don't see any speaker wires to hook onto it. Has anyone ever put a speaker in and how do you wire it up? Maybe a video somewhere on it?
Thanks for any help!

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Being new of owning my first Jeep TJ (2006), I have the center console out and see that you can put a speaker in it but I don't see any speaker wires to hook onto it. Has anyone ever put a speaker in and how do you wire it up? Maybe a video somewhere on it?
Thanks for any help!
A sub can be installed in there. Provided your specific Jeep didn't come with that option I'm not sure what it would involve to put one in there.

Back ground info.
Are you running factory stereo, speakers, and do you have (factory or aftermarket) amp installed??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know. I just see where the console has a plate screwed on the side for a big speaker. Never had a jeep before. Sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You actually have a lot of options depending on what you already have and where you want to go.

My APEX edition came with the factory sub which died after a few years. I replaced it with a 2 ohm Dual voice coil 6" sub from Bazooka (WF621). This was one of those 'I'm gonna make it fit' moments and had to dremel out some plastic from the inside of the console. The factory system has a small amp also built into center console that drives the sub. That amp is a very custom shape and I seriously doubt you could find an aftermarket solution to fit into that space.

The factory amp uses powered inputs that tap into the rear (sound bar) speaker wire for a signal to clip and amplify. This is a very dirty way to do this, sound wise.

That being said, If your running an aftermarket head unit with line level SUB outs you could stash a small sub amp somewhere (under dash?) and run the powered speaker wire under the shifter/4wd selector to a subwoofer.

If you have an aftermarket head unit with powered sub outs (rare / built in sub amp). you could just run speaker wire right to the subwoofer.

If you have the factory head unit OR a aftermarket head without sub outs you could do what Jeep did and pick up a small sub AMP capable of powered inputs.
Find a place to mount it
Tap into the front or rear speaker wires to give the amp a signal
run new speaker wire down to the subwoofer.
run electrical wires to power the sub (you'll have to do this with ANY amp)

Even though this is the least precise method of running a sub... it's a wrangler, they're noisy anyway so driving at anything near highway speeds your not going to be able to tell.

Oh yea, quadratec sells a drop in replacement subwoofer (just the speaker) that is supposed to match the specs of the factory one (2ohm dual voice coil). If you go that route just be sure to find an amp that can run at 2ohms, has 2 channels (DUAL voice coils) and is either a sub amp specifically or has a low-pass filter.

Of course, You might find a factory amp in a salvage yard for cheap.

hope that helps give you a few ideas. Time to crawl back into the sun...

·
Registered
76 Posts
You actually have a lot of options depending on what you already have and where you want to go.

My APEX edition came with the factory sub which died after a few years. I replaced it with a 2 ohm Dual voice coil 6" sub from Bazooka (WF621). This was one of those 'I'm gonna make it fit' moments and had to dremel out some plastic from the inside of the console. The factory system has a small amp also built into center console that drives the sub. That amp is a very custom shape and I seriously doubt you could find an aftermarket solution to fit into that space.

The factory amp uses powered inputs that tap into the rear (sound bar) speaker wire for a signal to clip and amplify. This is a very dirty way to do this, sound wise.

That being said, If your running an aftermarket head unit with line level SUB outs you could stash a small sub amp somewhere (under dash?) and run the powered speaker wire under the shifter/4wd selector to a subwoofer.

If you have an aftermarket head unit with powered sub outs (rare / built in sub amp). you could just run speaker wire right to the subwoofer.

If you have the factory head unit OR a aftermarket head without sub outs you could do what Jeep did and pick up a small sub AMP capable of powered inputs.
Find a place to mount it

Even though this is the least precise method of running a sub... it's a wrangler, they're noisy anyway so driving at anything near highway speeds your not going to be able to tell.

Oh yea, quadratec sells a drop in replacement subwoofer (just the speaker) that is supposed to match the specs of the factory one (2ohm dual voice coil). If you go that route just be sure to find an amp that can run at 2ohms, has 2 channels (DUAL voice coils) and is either a sub amp specifically or has a low-pass filter.

Great detail. But OMG what a pain to replace according to your varied choices. My factory sub is blown as is one speaker in my soundbar. I want to replace the sub,soundbar speakers and even the dash speakers as well as replace the head unit. So complete change over. My question is if I get that drop in sub from Quadratec what am I going to need to do again? Can I just drop it in or I think you said I need to add an amp but you also said there is already an amp in the console that powers the sub in which case I would think I dont need an amp as it is already there and just need to drop in the sub speaker. This is where I got confused. There were so many options in your description I'm really confused as to which to do. Since I am upgrading to polk speakers all the way round I thought I should use perhaps a Kicker sub for the console. In which case you started mentioning about putting in an extra amp or just wiring from the head unit or what exactly is the best easiest solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My question is if I get that drop in sub from Quadratec what am I going to need to do again? Can I just drop it in or I think you said I need to add an amp but you also said there is already an amp in the console that powers the sub in which case I would think I dont need an amp as it is already there and just need to drop in the sub speaker. This is where I got confused. There were so many options in your description I'm really confused as to which to do. Since I am upgrading to polk speakers all the way round I thought I should use perhaps a Kicker sub for the console. In which case you started mentioning about putting in an extra amp or just wiring from the head unit or what exactly is the best easiest solution?
LOL, sorry for the confusion.
If you get the Quadratec subwoofer, it is a direct replacement and the easiest solution. Just take out the old and insert new. If you have the factory center console sub, you should have the factory amp. (You'll see it when you take the old subwoofer out.) So, you don't need anything else.

Since my sub "install"/hack job was about 2 years before Quatratec started selling the replacement speaker I went the bazooka route. Jeep dealers wanted $120+ for the crappy all paper OEM subwoofer. From what I hear the Quadratec replacement is beefed up from the OEM speaker and although it is a drop-in replacement it sounds like an upgrade. Again, not hearing it with my own ears, I can't confirm.

I have not had to replace the other speakers yet but from what I hear the front dash speakers have strange mounting holes. You will want to take one out and check the holes against a display like in a Best Buy or somewhere like that. I know I've seen brackets/adapter plates so you can mount a "normal" speaker into the strange hole pattern.

The sound bar, I think, has regular speakers that you could just swap out.

Food for thought, my Jeep is the 4th in my extended family. Every one of us have had somebody take something from our cars. After you replace an $900 top that was cut to steal a 15 dollar pair of sunglasses you will come to this conclusion that most other Jeep owners have come to:
- Anybody can enter your rig with a butter knife or a piece of glass from a parking lot.
- If your rig has a soft top you will want to THINK about what your installing.
- Over 40 MPH high fidelity, high $ stereos & speakers are a waste of money.
- don't leave anything of value in the car (unless it's in an aftermarket armored compartment) The factory glove box and center console are a joke.
- leave your doors unlocked. if somebody wants your stuff, cross your fingers the thief checks the door first. tops and windows are expensive.
- most aftermarket HUs will slide out with the equivalent of U shaped bent coat hangers. Get a detachable face then at least the HU will be useless.

I have an aftermarket HU with detachable face. Yes, I always take the face inside or I lock it in one of my armored compartments. (Nobody can see the big subwoofer stuffed inside the sub center console.) It's just too easy to get into soft top Jeeps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great news on the quadratec replacement. I will probably go that route. I checked prices for an upgrade kicker sub and amp to run it and OMG its not cheap. Since I am going to replace the 4 speakers and deck I think I will go with the quad and save some money. Thanks for the advice on how stuff gets stolen. So far I have been lucky and most people I know have not had a problem with car break ins. But I am living outside the US in Oman and have been lucky so far. I do leave my doors open. Thanks for the extra explanation.

·
Registered
2010 JEEP JK
5 Posts

Find a place to mount it

For more information about best speakers for jeep wrangler please visit the website here https://jeepequipment.com/speakers-for-jeep-wrangler-sound-bar/
Mine Bazooka WF621.5DV ok stock, but there are times I know I am working the sub pretty hard at the higher volumes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts