Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering what all is entailed with this conversion?
Say you took a early. model yj that was carbrated and manual but has a blown engine and bought it cheap, what all would it take to convert that to the newer 4.0 engine with the five speed manual? Would I have to swap wiring harnesses, t case, tranny, and drive line? How far does replacing that engine go?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If you had a donor with everything you needed it might not be that hard. I don't know the mounting differences. The big parts would be at the least the engine/harness/computer...

Theres always a bunch of unforeseen little parts you'll need and that can add up quickly...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a decent conversion that is worth while? cause if I.find a 90 or newer yj with a blown motor I was thinkin of doin that. Because as Chris said, I've heard that all the mounts are the same

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make sure you get the fuel tank and pump - FI uses a different system and a higher pressure in-tank fuel pump where the carbureted units had a mechanical pump on the engine. Run fresh fuel lines - it's not difficult, especially if you have a donor or a good diagram to follow. I swear by the Haynes manual for most things on my '93.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts