Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I got my first jeep. It's a 94 wrangler and doesn't seem to have many modifications / aftermarket stuff. Daily driver for an older dude before I got it... But I can't figure out what this thing attached to the shifter is! I have been told: manual choke, splitter, hi/lo switch, locker, and something that would "enable reverse". I do not use it but I know it's hooked up because when I pull it up and am in neutral the engine makes a revving noise. IM A GIRL. I work on cars but I'm no mechanic! Hellllppp

Attachments

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
It could be any of those.. Lol.

I doubt it will be a reverse lockout, if it was you wouldn't be able to engage reverse with out using it.
It could be a locker but doubt because of motor noise.

I'm going to assume choke.. Check under jeep and see if you can fallow the cable. If it add ataches to linkage on the carberator it's a choke.. If it runs to a differential it's a locker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
08Rescue said:
It could be any of those.. Lol.

I doubt it will be a reverse lockout, if it was you wouldn't be able to engage reverse with out using it.
It could be a locker but doubt because of motor noise.

I'm going to assume choke.. Check under jeep and see if you can fallow the cable. If it add ataches to linkage on the carberator it's a choke.. If it runs to a differential it's a locker.
I don't have a carburetor and when I looked under before I couldn't find it but I'll look again. I'm new at this :p

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
It's a hand throttle. You can use it to set your rpm higher when using a winch. Or set it when wheeling so you can use both feet for clutch and brake on the trails.

Do NOT use it as a cruise control.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seadog said:
It's a hand throttle. You can use it to set your rpm higher when using a winch. Or set it when wheeling so you can use both feet for clutch and brake on the trails.

Do NOT use it as a cruise control.
What happens if the PO used it as cruise control. I just found his number and asked him he said he didn't know what it was but he had used it for cruise control

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
It can be used as a cruise control, but it is unsafe and downright dangerous. There are no safety mechanisms available for you to shut down the accelerator if you get in over your head, or someone pulls out in front of you.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Nice work guys. I actually plan to make one for winching but never thought about doing it tat way..

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Mine is from a bicycle shifter lever. Works perfectly and has a friction hold so I can set it at a certain RPM for when I'm running the winch.
Pretty convenient mod that gets used often on steep hills.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Lol, I was thinking about some thing electrical..

<-- drive by wire

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
08Rescue said:
Lol, I was thinking about some thing electrical..

<-- drive by wire
Just look into the programmers, like procal, etc. They have the feature built in and don't mess with the CanBus.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
^ true but not cheap, and the wife will think I want it just for extra hp and not want me to get it. She knows me well!

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Tell her you need it for regearing and changing tire sizes...

You would never think about hp. Lol.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Tell her you need it for regearing and changing tire sizes...

You would never think about hp. Lol.
Lol, that would mean spending more money on gears and rubber. That's a no go..

Mandy if you read this babe, I was just joking with the guys my love. :)
Bahhhahahahahaha

I promised I wouldn't spend all kinds of money on this Jeep after my race car project...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lol, that would mean spending more money on gears and rubber. That's a no go..

Bahhhahahahahaha

I promised I wouldn't spend all kinds of money on this Jeep after my race car project...
It's your Jeep...
See if I were married(probably never will be), the other person couldn't tell me what I can and can not do to my own vehicle. Granted that's doesn't mean I would spend money like a rich guy at a whore house. But still, the point applies.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts