Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
How are your fabrication skills? You could make a very simple or very complicated one with every feature you wanted.

As far as buying one..... I'll get back to you... :)

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something of interest, or so I think at least. I was interested in the Warn brand winch, listed as portable. It basically sits on a plate, and has a hitch style mounting tube, that you slide into any standard size hole of 2x2 inches, then insert the pin, and plug in the quick connect wiring couple, that is prewired by you or a shop. Sounds perfect for me, who may wish to actually have the winch on his jeep 20 days a year or less. The rest of the time, just stick it in the garage. Well I email Warn, and they respond telling me to NOT buy that winch. In the back it is uneasble due to tire clearance, and I could only use it with the gate swung open. And for the front, they make no bumper to fit it at all. Why make the winch, when you don't make compatible parts to fit one of the most popular applications for it in the world. Its not like a Jeep Wrangler is some obscure vehicle, built in very limited numbers. Very odd way of doing business if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
It may only work if you buy one of their bumper/ tire carriers.... I'm not really sure. I was going to mount a winch on a removable plate like you're talking for my truck, but i don't have to worry about a tire or something getting in the way...

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may only work if you buy one of their bumper/ tire carriers.... I'm not really sure. I was going to mount a winch on a removable plate like you're talking for my truck, but i don't have to worry about a tire or something getting in the way...
That is with their rear bumper, and they make no fronts for the Jeep.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I considered the portable winch concept when I was first looking at winches.

Keep in mind you have to store that puppy someplace, so it uses up room. And if you store it inside the Jeep, you need to tie it down really well because if you roll over it becomes a missile in there.
Consider also that how often do you winch backwards? I never have. I've seen people get winched backwards but not often. Usually you need a pull up the hill, not back down. Too dangerous.
And, when you need a winch, you are usually in some precarious position on the side of a steep hill or rocks, and then you have to go to the back of your vehicle, get the winch unfastened, take it out, carry it (heavy) up the rocks/hill to the front of your Jeep, put it into the receiver provided your front bumper isn't against a boulder or in the mud, then go up the hill to find an anchor point for the winch cable. run the winch controller back into the cab, pull yourself up the hill, get out and reverse the whole process. I'm tired just typing it.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points Rik, I just figured that way I would leave it in the garage most of the time. Think maybe I will get the H2O winch from Smitty, its water proof, so being used infrequently, but out in the water, snow, mud just hanging there, it may last longer. Would suck to not have it work when it actually comes to a time I need it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yeah, and another point is, If you were planning on leaving "it in the garage most of the time", when you need it, you won't be any where near your garage. Murphy's law.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts