Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so when I started this bed liner project, I was taking my back seat brackets out and 3 out of 4 of the bolts broke and the rest of the bolt is in the frame welded nuts. How do I get these out so I can have my backseat back?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow. That sucks bad. There is not an easy fix for that. Your gonna have to try and drill those out and use an easy-out. Try some heat with a torch when you go to remove them. If that works, you got lucky. If not you may have to drill and re tap the holes. Or even worse. I had similar issues with a roll bar changeout. Only one broken bolt. Soak anything you can see with some kind of oil. Then good luck.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Look and figure out what size up bolt you would have to go to, so you have virgin metal for threads, then go to an autoparts , or hardware store, and buy that size tap, and it will tell you what size drill bit you need. Drill the hole out, be careful to stay as centered and straight as possible. Then using oil on the tap, pushing down hard, turn the tap in. I go about a turn and a half, then back it out a half turn, blow awayy metal shavings and give it another few drops of oil. Repeat until all the way through. Remove tap, and you have new threads, for the new proper sized bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is probably fixed by now but if it was me I would probably drop the gas tank, if you need to get access, and just grind off the nutserts from the bottom. They are only tacked in place as I recall.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
If your careful and drill a little smaller hole in the center Of the bolt you can then use a punch and push what's left of the bolt into the center of the hole and not need to upsize the bolt. I've done this several times. Just start with a small bit and use a center punch so she doesn't walk on you. Then keep upsizing the drill bit untill you can't go any bigger without hitting the threw. Once the bulk is removed you can literally peal the bolt out of the threads into the center of the hole. Once you get it crimped in a bit you can usually get some needle nose plyers on it and turn it out..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your careful and drill a little smaller hole in the center Of the bolt you can then use a punch and push what's left of the bolt into the center of the hole and not need to upsize the bolt. I've done this several times. Just start with a small bit and use a center punch so she doesn't walk on you. Then keep upsizing the drill bit untill you can't go any bigger without hitting the threw. Once the bulk is removed you can literally peal the bolt out of the threads into the center of the hole. Once you get it crimped in a bit you can usually get some needle nose plyers on it and turn it out..
See I've tried drilling into these bolts but they will not let me drill into them, I've run a fresh battery down on my drill trying to drill them. I'm not sure if it's my bits or what help would like to have my kid riding again soon

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
See I've tried drilling into these bolts but they will not let me drill into them, I've run a fresh battery down on my drill trying to drill them. I'm not sure if it's my bits or what help would like to have my kid riding again soon
We use Hanson Cobalt "left hand" drill bits when we have a broken bolt that needs to be removed.

Attachments

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Check to see if the drill motor may be in reverse? lol

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Where can I pick some of those up
I order mine from a industrial supplier that sell to school's shop programs.
Most "ole fashion hardware stores" will carry them......Lowe's, Home Depot and WalMart BUT they carry some "cheaper" brand that might not be COLBALT and not last very long. Snap-on and Mac tool companies also carry "their" brand--- pricey but good bits.

Tip: the package might say "high speed drill bit" BUT the death to a metal drill bit is: Heat, Speed and Pressure..... Heat-- use a cutting fluid ( to keep bit and metal cool), Speed--hard metal: less than 700 rpm.... soft metal: 1000 to 1500rpm and Pressure-- I can give you a formula for metal type and thickness verses bit type and RPM. BUT as I tell my students "Slower is better" start with a little and add a little bit of pressure untill it start to cut. If you have to "stand-on it" to make it cut--1. wrong bit type, 2. bit is dull......
Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts