Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '08 Rubicon with less than 58k on it. Had the pads and rotors in the front replaced because they were making a grinding noise. 2 days later I went back to have another repair done to replace a leaking rear dif seal. On the way to the shop I started smelling something burning, smelled like something electrical. By the time I got to the shop, less than 2 miles later, the smell was so bad I expected to see smoke or even flame from somewhere. I had driven less than 15 miles from when the brakes were done. The front passenger wheel, which is black steel, looked like it was muddy or rusted. The mechanic that did my brakes checked it out and said my caliper seized. He recommended replacing them on both sides. He claimed its unusual, but not unheard of for the caliper to go after putting on new pads. He said he checked them to make sure they worked, road tested the car and retested the calipers to be sure. He said they seemed fine. When he did, he saw the rubber hose had a hole in it. He said it was because the tires and wheels I have need spacers. I am puzzled as they are the same size as what came on it. The wheels are Black Rock Steel 17" x8" 0 off set, 4.50 rear spacing and the tires are 255/75R17. Originally, it came with the same size 17 x8 wheels and same size mud tires. When I purchased them, I asked for the same size in both and just chose a new black rim for cosmetics and a better all around use tire for traction with siping, which the muds did not have. It handles much better in rain and slush. Supposedly, the rim rubbed thru the rubber brake hose. I have put 5k on the new wheels and tires before this happening. I would rather not use spacers, and am wondering if they are telling me the truth. IS it the wheel or did my mechanic muck something up and is looking to CYA. Any advice to a confused, newbie is greatly appreciated! :confused:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts