Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my upper and lower ball joints . I believe they are rusted to the axle housing. I have a press and plenty of pb blaster. No access to oxy-acetylene. Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
a few options, I would try

Big Hammer, has worked for me in the past

You can get a small propane torch at any hardware store in the plumbing section for around $20 to add some heat.

Drill out the center (may relieve some pressure then follow with Big hammer or press)

Cuttoff wheel. I have seen people cut an X across the top to do the same thing as above.

·
43 Posts
Decent balljoint press and a big hammer to give it some love taps under pressure ought to make quick work of it
YAPPP, you should be able to get one from the part house loan program, it's a common and much used tool. Just did a Taurus yesterday. Front wheel drive. It was nearly impossible without the tool. The tool could be substituted with a 8-10" Heavy Duty 'C' clamp and a larger socket, like a 1" or there abouts. It 'can' be done without with a lot of hammering and cussing, but the tool is the way to go if at all possible. Even if you buy it and then off it when done on Ebay or Craigslist. But, it's something you might otherwise use every other couple years maybe.... Well whenever you feel the urge to rebuild a front end.......

·
43 Posts
These are what you are looking for. It's unlikely you will use the doughnuts, but instead the 'C' clamp and cylindrical spacers.
A warning, if the ball joint has a rubber boot held on with a spiral lock ring, remove both the rubber boot with the spiral ring before trying to push through the spindle ball joint hole. Then put them back on. Not difficult with a small pick or screwdriver...........actually easy. If you don't you might likely cut or tear the boot while trying to force it through the ball joint hole, even gooped up, it's just too big to go through.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts