Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a way to lock down the back seat headrests when you don't have passengers there? When combined with the spare tire, your rear-view mirror view is greatly limited by those big, blocky pieces of vinyl-covered padding that serve no purpose most of the time. I do appreciate that they are there when needed, but they are more hindrance than help the rest of the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it depends on what yr jeep you have. I've seen where people would undo a spring, on another said they push in the tabs and another he took apart the seat to get them out.
Mine is a 2011 and here's what I did. Fold the seat down, hold the head rest down and bring the seat back up, do not let go of the head rest, use a bungy cord or what ever and hook it to the tie downs that are on the floor behind the seat and the head rest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm basically doing the same sort of thing on my '08 Sahara, only using Velcro strips to the fabric back rather than Bungee cords. Still, it's be nice to either insert a lock to prevent the springs from pushing it back up or find some more elegant way that doesn't look hacked on.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Sawzall. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 JK and I just pulled mine out and threw them behind the seat. If a passenger wants luxury then they can reach back and reinstall them.

·
Jeep Wench
6,710 Posts
I too pulled mine out the first day I got it. However I keep mine in the garage. They've never been used, my passengers said the headrest sucked cuz it was too hard anyway

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2012 JK and I just pulled mine out and threw them behind the seat. If a passenger wants luxury then they can reach back and reinstall them.
I too pulled mine out the first day I got it. However I keep mine in the garage. They've never been used, my passengers said the headrest sucked cuz it was too hard anyway
The problem with these two answers is that the Unlimited (4-door) model doesn't give you that option. The headrests are hinged to fold back when the seat back is folded forward to extend the load floor. Personally, I'm surprised that Jeep didn't just extend the 'flip and tumble' seating of the 2-door model so the floor would be even flatter, but I think I'll blame the Daimler owners for that poor design factor.

That said, I don't argue that a rear-view camera would resolve the problem, but where would you put it? Mount it in the tire carrier and you cover it up with a tire cover. Mount it on a hard top and you lose it when you take the top off. Mount it on the rear bumper and it's too low to be an effective 'rear view mirror'. Sure, any of these would probably work if you're not wanting to see effectively.
Hmmm... maybe mount it in the third brake light housing?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
The problem with these two answers is that the Unlimited (4-door) model doesn't give you that option. The headrests are hinged to fold back when the seat back is folded forward to extend the load floor. Personally, I'm surprised that Jeep didn't just extend the 'flip and tumble' seating of the 2-door model so the floor would be even flatter, but I think I'll blame the Daimler owners for that poor design factor.

That said, I don't argue that a rear-view camera would resolve the problem, but where would you put it? Mount it in the tire carrier and you cover it up with a tire cover. Mount it on a hard top and you lose it when you take the top off. Mount it on the rear bumper and it's too low to be an effective 'rear view mirror'. Sure, any of these would probably work if you're not wanting to see effectively.
Hmmm... maybe mount it in the third brake light housing?
Only logical answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
do like i did .... drill a hole in the centercap of the spare and mount it there .... works like a champ .. replacement centercaps are cheap ......:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts