Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a trip to France and Scotland/Ireland this summer and I'm wondering if any of you have experience with it.
France is covered as far as info. My woman's family and ancestry are from there. We are staying with her family in the French Alps and hitting some of the tourist spots around France before we head north.
My family/ancestry hails from Scotland and Ireland.
So info about Scotland and Ireland is what I really need.
Stuff like:
Must see places
Must do things to do
Do not do this or that
Eat this particular food/beverage
Avoid ?
Spend the most time at ?
Pics would be helpful if you have any. We are still on the fence about taking the kids with us. They want to go and probably will but not 100% sure. Is this an issue? It's not for France.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My parents go to Ireland every few years. My dad found out his biological parents were Irish and he's been doing the whole ancestry thing ever since. This summer they are going again to some of the smaller towns/villages to trace more family members and perhaps meet some as well.

They've done alot of the touristy stuff, Stonehenge, the Blarney Stone (sp?), etc. They've gotten the most out their trips by getting off the beaten path and seeing what the rest of country is like.

Rent a car...Explore!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, I've been there a few times so I can help.

Scotland: Loch Ness, Highlands, Royal Mile in Edinburgh (World's End Pub!!!) ghost walk, etc.

Ireland: Giants Causeway, Cliffs of Moher, Dublin (Guiness tour), Blarney Stone, etc.

Michelle and I normally just get a few ideas and then just go. Since we always have a car we just go where ever we feel like it.

BTW, we'll be in France this summer too. We'll be cycling in Provence and then catching the part of the Tour de France.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ I used to own a Triumph Spitfire exactly like that one. Same color too! Funny you posted that.
Great pics BTW.
Thanks for the ideas, I will research all the suggested and try to hit as many as I can.
Kevin I will find out exactly where/when we will be in France and maybe we can hook up.
Thanks again for he info. More is welcome.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Heck, it's good for ya' even here in the good 'ol USA!!!

BTW, I need to get to New Zealand. There's some awesome trout fishing there!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Heck, it's good for ya' even here in the good 'ol USA!!!

BTW, I need to get to New Zealand. There's some awesome trout fishing there!
come on down.....one of the reasons i built my old xj was for getting up the rivers trout fishing...tis a great way to unwind...i will shout the guinness if ya ever get down here....;)

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I haven't been there but what Id do if I went

Scotland-Golf, they should have a decent course you'd think

Ireland-Visit the Jameson distillery, I'll need something to make me feel better after sucking it up on the golf course.

In all seriousness Id probably check out the things Motorep suggested

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't play golf but I'm sure thay have some good courses there.
My ancestors were castle and church builders. There are some of the churches in Ireland too. Two of them are in Pennsylvania USA.
It would be interesting to see those. Castles are fascinating to me. The engineering that went into them is amazing.
I'm not a big Guinness fan but I will need to be there so I'll start practicing right away. burp.
Thanks for all the input. Kevin those pics are awesome. You are a lucky guy to be able to travel as much as you do.
We were going to try to go to Machu Pichu this year but some of Betsy's relatives in France are getting really old and she want's to see them again before they go.
Machu Pichu next year? Anybody been there?

·
Registered
320 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts