Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you toss in a 5.2 or 5.9 what air cleaner does one use? I don't have the hood clearance for the stock one.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel injected. and I only have maybe two inches if that before the hood. I am trying to avoid a hood scoop and also keeping it CA smog leagal is a challenge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you take the Niner out of a 98 Zeejay or a Dakota/Ram donor?

What's the OD of the throttle body? I know for Subarus they make really tight 90-degree silicone pieces for turbo setups. Maybe one of those will work?

The black piece to the right is what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The donor was a 96 Ram 2500 and the OD is large (I can measure in the morning) It is around 4" about the same as a 4 barrel carb. I could probably run a carb filter but I need to have a vacumn line come off the intake also. I think the subaru one won't be big enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's 4" then yeah- this is sized for a T3 turbo. I'm pretty sure they make bigger ones for big-turbo setups as well, though. Lemme do some browsing real quick.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to measure exactly how much room I have til the hood. That one shows it is 4.94" tall but I can probably trim it up a little to. Thanks for searching.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No problem! FWIW that height probably includes the shank that'll slip over the TB intake as well- it'll probably take some height off it once you have it fitted on.

As to the rest of the piping, when I redid my XJ's intake I used an elbow and then a piece of PVC pipe that I painted and cut to the length I needed. You might be limited to running some kind of cone filter setup though.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sure I can find some sort of enclosed filter at the junk yard if needed but I am also ok with a cone filter as long as it passes the smog test. They only other problem I see is that I only have about a 1/4" of lip to grab onto on the intake. The stock one clamped on but I am sure that is something I can easily figure out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts