Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it is late in getting started, but here is my build thread.

It started with my acquisition of an 07 JK unlimited rubicon.

I really like the Jeep but I found a problem before we drove it off the lot. My 9 year old daughter had trouble climbing into the Jeep. After watching her do it in a dress on the way to church, I knew that something had to be done.

After quite a few hours on the internet, I found two possible solutions. The first was a set of bolt on tube steps for the stock rubi rails. They were about $290 plus shipping. The second solution was a set of weld on tube steps for the stock rubi rails. Those were about $250 plus shipping. I then thought to myself, I bet I could get some steel tube and make them myself. I have always been a DIY guy and I can weld (a little). The only problem was bending the ends of the tube so I had smooth bends instead of welded angles. I then remembered a forum member here that had offered help and tools when he introduced himself to me. I contacted Chris and he stated that he had a tubing bender and a welder and I should come on over and we could look at the problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I spent an afternoon with Chris, talking about Jeeps and tools and plans for our heaps. I also got a good look at Chris' YJ-TJ-Dodge Ram bastardized Jeep.:D It is COOL. I think Chris has done a great job on this. It actually gave me confidence in my new friend's (I will let him be my friend because he has awesome tools) abiltiy to weld and fabricate. So we set up a work date:eek: I mean day, for the next day.

I got to Chris' house and we got started. Unfortunately, I neglected to take any pictures until we were welding the steps on the Jeep. They are made from 1 3/4” mild steel and should be strong enough. This is what we came up with.

Here are a few of Chris doing the welding. I let him use his welder because it is was too awesome for me, coming from a 110v.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fast forward a couple of days and I finally have a chance to take the rails off to prep for paint. Imagine my surprise when I got them off that they sounded like a baby's rattle when I moved them. I pulled the end cap off and found that they were rusting badly from the inside out. Now what do I do? :confused:

This is just a small sample of what I found inside the rubi rails. Again, I neglected to take photos before I cleaned most of it up.

Back on the computer to the forum and some google searches and I determined that the best fix in my situation would be Rustoleum Rust Reformer. I did not want to spend the money on something like POR 15 because these are just temporary. This looks like it will stop the rusting process. So after scraping out the inside with a long metal pole and beating the outside with a BFH (big fat hammer), I dumped out the scales and got ready to seal it. I taped one end and poured the rust reformer into the open end. After coating the inside well, I left them standing to dry.

This is the result before standing them on end to dry.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before the interior coat, I sanded the old coating. There were numerous small spots of rust due to rock chips so I decided to repaint everything.

So now we have caught up to the present. Today is prime then paint. Already have a couple coats of primer on the underside. I hope to have them all primed and maybe the first coat of paint before I have to stop.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It took several days to get the paint on and dried. Some of that delay was due to me not being home. After finishing the paint, I let it sit an extra day in the sun to help cure the paint. I did not want fresh paint rubbing off the first time someone used the step. This first photo is the Rusteloum Truck Bed Coating first coat. I really like the texture of this stuff.

I mounted them on Tuesday morning and they look great. Thanks again to Chris for the help he gave me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that those are done, I am thinking I need to build a front bumper. I hope you are ready for that Chris.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
They look good. It also looks like you did some wheeling while they were off. Where did you get her dirty?

How do they work with the kid and wife for getting in?

I am ready for the bumper when you are. I am trying to picl up some ore tube today, still waiting on my buddy to set things up.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Those look great!!

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
I actually saw it at Wallmart after I paid more at autozone

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I think I saw it at Lowe's and Home Depot too.
Good stuff.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the paint at Home Depot and Autozone. I did not see it at our local Walmart.
The dirt is from father's day, we went into the hills north east of here and did some shooting. Just up and down some dusty roads. There was one small hill where I put it in 4 high and cruised up easily while the 2wd cars and trucks where working hard. (spinning tires, throwing dirt. sliding sideways)
And to answer your question about the steps, they work great. My family loves them and I really like the look.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it did. The jeep is 5 years old and the design of the Rubi rock rails has a flaw. There is very poor drainage. If water seeps in during water play, it has a hard time drying out inside. The cure, in my humble opinion. is to remove the end caps. I do not know exactly how the moisture got in as this was a used jeep.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts