Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Girl on the block... well... -Hopeful- at least. I've come across this lovely lady... (here's the ad verbatim):

"4 Cylinder 2.5 Liter L4 MPI, 4WD, Sport Utility, Automatic in-Floor, 3 Door,
Dual Air Bags, Power Steering, Heat & A/C, Tachometer, Trip Odometer, Rubber mats, Front Recliner Bucket Seats, Rear Fold-Down Seat, Cloth upholstery, Padded Roll Bars, Tilt Steering, Tire Carrier, White Letter Tires, running boards, Splash Guard Mud Flaps, Sound Bar, Panasonic CQ-DFX701U w/Removable Full Front MOS-FET 50Wx4 High power CD Player/Receiver/Clock, AM/FM Stereo with Dot Matrix LCD & CD Changer Control w/wireless Remote control.
Extra Top & Window set, Bikini Top & Header Windshield Channel, Factory Unique Purple Paint, Chrome Color Billet Grille Inserts, Bug Shield,
Runs great ! Body is in terrific condition too!
Only one body blemish, on right rear corner (see pic) just above bumper
This vehicle has NOT been dogged or used on Beach or saltwater.
Mileage: 118,000
Asking $ 5,000"

... Is it worth it??? I would love input from the seasoned experts!!! This will be my FIRST jeep :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Little pricey IMO for a 4 cyl.. The 2.5L and automatic combination is not all that great, hills will kill it big time and you'll be pushing it hard the whole time just going anywhere. If I were you I would hold out for a 6 cylinder. Might not come in purple, but at least you won't have issue zipping around town :)

Welcome btw!

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I'm going to disagree with Xpress. I think this is a great price. I had the 2.5L and it took me anywhere I wanted to go. Jeeps aren't fast, no matter whether you have the 4 cylinder or the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current money guzzler is a 4banger, so that fact doesn't bother me too much. I'm not much of a lead foot, and if anything... this is gonna be a 'starter' jeep. I've always wanted one, and this is the best deal I've come across in the price range I want. I also/obviously don't plan on paying 5k... cash has amazing magical properties :D
I'll try to get some more pictures of underneath and such for a better input.

And the purple part isn't my favorite... but I kinda like being a little different too

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I think it is a great starter jeep at a good price. With gearing you will never care about that 4 banger. How fast do you want your brick to go anyway?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Usually 4:10's.
I don't care for the purple myself, but I'm not a female and some females like that color. (some males too)
The price seems fair, but not great. I'm sure they'll take $4K for it
The four cylinder is a good motor, just not a puller if you plan on towing up a hill. The six is a stronger motor but the four will get you pretty far into the wild and back. A lot of people wheel fours with no complaints.
As far as mileage, forget it. Jeeps are not designed for mileage. They get the mileage of a common minivan, depending on the gravity forces of your right foot.
Do you plan to wheel off road with it or will it be pretty much a pavement princess?

·
King Thread De-Railer
2,801 Posts
Seems priced abit high for a 4-banger. there really under powered. ive driven alot of them and compared to the 4.0 there a dog on gas/going anywhere hills will not be your friend lol. heard the autos are worse to drive with a 4 banger(don't know personally i drove a few 5 spd 4 banger and the thing was so slow i probly could have walked faster). i would try and get them down to 3500/4 G for it. good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I just got back from looking at it and aside from getting it on a lift to see her underneath... I fell in love with it. It was my first time driving a jeep and I'm in love. Otherwise everything is in great shape for it being a 97. It's really been taken care of and unless there is anything negative underneath it, I kinda feel like its fair priced considering its condition.
I am going to say that I'm not one to have a heavy foot or take it out in the woods to play... But give me a few months of not blowing $500 a month on the Nissan and build up a 'in case stuck happens' fund... Ya damn right I'll take her out. I had too much fun driving it on the road to not take it out.
Even if this one doesn't work out though... I am certain I will be buying a jeep in the near future. I really appreciate all of the input guys!!!
Keep the comments coming though! I haven't bought it yet!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
My best advice is to look around at other Jeeps too. They are all fun to drive. Don't be hasty. Make sure the four banger is going to work for YOU. I'm sure the color will grow on you even more. I think that call that color some kind of plum. Some Soft Eights, a little lift, some 33's and it' would be pretty cool.
Good luck.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How long has it been for sale?

There was a Jeep very similar to that for sale in my area when I was looking back in Oct. The guy had a hard time selling it, I'm pretty sure because of the color. His price kept dropping too. You might be able to get it for less if you just offer the guy something and then wait and see what happens. I've been able to buy cars in the past for considerably less than the original asking price by amking an offer and then leaving the seller a way to contact me.

That color isn't going to appeal to a lot of buyers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update! Found a 93 for $3900 with 108k miles, manual, a 4.0, lifted, new tires, custom rims... Oh yea ... And it's not purple! Its red. Haha.
Going to check it out tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm not totally car-tarded... But blow-by?
Basically, blowing oil out of the oil cap, through the pcv/vent breather system, etc etc from too much crank pressure. Can happen from the rings going out on the pistons (lowering compression, robbing engine power, etc), sludge inside of the crank, clogged pcv or vent systems, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So glad I'm looking around... Found another awesome deal! 97, 98k miles, 4cyl 5spd, And a bunch of fun stuff... Yay. With all this GOREGEOUS "winter" weather we're having here in VA, makes me want one NOW! Lol. I had to suffer all enclosed in my rogue while I watched all the jeeps taunt me on the road today :(

Patience... Ugh.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
make sure the motors good. and it doesn't have any blow-by.
You perv! Keep it clean!! :D

Kidding of course.

Yes, patience. Very important grasshopper. Wait for the perfect one. It's out there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think waiting for the 'perfect one' is a buncha BS.... In more ways than just one.
Luckily I can still build the 'perfect' jeep after I buy it!!!!:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts