Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After helping me wrench on my projects for the past 10 years and coming out to a few of my jeep clubs events my dad decided he wanted a rig of his own. We found a nice low mileage 97 TJ up in CT around Halloween. So we took my truck and trailer and drug it home.

Specs
97 TJ 4.0 with an AX15
Clayton 4in short arm front with JKS track bar and discos
Clayton 4in triangulated 4 link rear
Dana 30 LP front with 4:88s
Dana 44 trussed with 4:88s
35in KM2s
Blue Torch front cage.
Corvette Le-Mons blue
custom front bumper
AtoZ rockers and rear bumper

First day home

He made up a little wish list for it; a full size spare and carrier and some rocker protection first followed by upgrading the steering.

First call was to Zack at AtoZ fab for a set of his rockers and tire carrier

I also have a Serious Offroad 1 ton steering set up on the way for it

long term plans, lock the rear axle, alloy the front 30 and truss the Cs. Wheel it once the weather warms up again

·
BPJOOP93
12 Posts
That looks nice. when you put the sliders on did you seal around them with any silicon caulk? just askin cause when i took mine off the rockers were all rotted out. i didnt have anything sealing mine so the salt and crap just sat in there and did bad things.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
JF has a lot of discussions re: silicone, and most advise against it. I still used silicone on my YJ. They say it causes rust because the metal never dries out once water penetrates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks nice. when you put the sliders on did you seal around them with any silicon caulk? just askin cause when i took mine off the rockers were all rotted out. i didnt have anything sealing mine so the salt and crap just sat in there and did bad things.

we actually used some fabric tape on the rocker before bolting it to the body. more to keep the rubbing down. its not a DD so if there is a lot of salt on the road it will just stay home. i think the bigger issue is people not cleaning their rigs after wheeling, but thats just my .02

·
With 40+ years of Jeeping
12 Posts
silicon on rocker guards

One trick we use is to silicon only the top edge of the rock guard. This keeps out most of the sand and grit but allows any thing that comes in otherwise to drop out or at least dry from the bottom. In over 5 years of this way of doing it, I have zero rust or other issues.:)

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
One trick we use is to silicon only the top edge of the rock guard. This keeps out most of the sand and grit but allows any thing that comes in otherwise to drop out or at least dry from the bottom. In over 5 years of this way of doing it, I have zero rust or other issues.:)
That makes the most sense to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haven't updated this in a while but we've done a bunch of work on it the past few months

New headlights from chevys of the 40s with LED rings

replaced the light duty front bumper with one for AtoZ fab

relocated the mirrors with Skid Row Brackets

then today we got just finished installing a set of SAW air bumps

tomorrow starts the metal cloak arched fender install

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the fenders and inner fenders are easy, I had to make a few changes to fit around the air bumps. mounting all the under hood stuff took longer then mounting the fenders

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
spot on for the most part. I've done a set on my YJ so had an idea how everything went together and comes apart. if your alone figure a solid day to take the old fenders off then put the new fenders on

1 - 20 of 20 Posts