Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out driving today and my clutch just felt
Like it snapped at a stop sign... Now when I press it and pull my foot away the clutch doesn't grab, it literally just swings back and forth. Thought the clutch might be worn out but people said it could be a pressure plate? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Will the Jeep move at all? I've never heard of a clutch failing like you described (not saying it couldn't happen). To me it sounds more like something in the pedal assembly to hydraulics....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not at all. It can't start since it won't catch. Just had it towed to tHe mechanic, but I won't know the problem for two more days

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Sounds like the slave cylinder blew. Was there any fluid under the trans?
Possibly pedal linkage? Clutch fork pivot pin?
If the clutch plate or pressure plate blew that radically, you would have heard a lot of noise.

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
Sounds like the slave cylinder blew. Was there any fluid under the trans?
Possibly pedal linkage? Clutch fork pivot pin?
If the clutch plate or pressure plate blew that radically, you would have heard a lot of noise.
x2, like he said.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Just like above either the pedal linkage or the master/slave exploding. I had this happen on a dodge truck and it was just the cotter pin the holds the pedal to the master cylinder shaft.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You can actually drive like that, you stick it in third gear and start it in gear turn it of at traffic lights. I have driven delivery trucks that way. It would have told you that the clutch it self is still ok. Most likely problem is the push rod for the clutch master cylinder came of the pedal, or it broke, or another one is where the pivot pin on the pedal that holds the pushrod for the master cylinder on the pedal wore away and broke of the pedal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All is good. The clutch had been tired to the gears with a bunch of copper wire from the previous owner and it finally wore out. Cost me 89 bucks but glad its not the whole clutch

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Sounds like a trail repair that was never fixed correctly. Glad it was cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts