Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started yesterday. Starts fine, and idles fine, but when giving it gas it hesitates, no power and backfires thru the carb. I have replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the injectors. Any ideas before I have to take it to a dealer?:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This just started yesterday. Starts fine, and idles fine, but when giving it gas it hesitates, no power and backfires thru the carb. I have replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the injectors. Any ideas before I have to take it to a dealer?:confused:
I have replaced the plugs and O2 sensor....and put hi test gas and some ethanol treatment. It seems worse now...will barely start. Help!!!

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Is the ignition timing correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have gotten the codes...the only relevant one was the O2 sensor...nothing else showing up ( except the AC CODE...don't have AC). Seems to get worse after warmed up...starts cold fine but has to sit for a while before it will re-start. I am going to replace the TPS today and see what happens. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TPS is in and it's no better. And I am again getting the code for lean O2 sensor.

Where is the downstream O2 sensor? There is nothing past the Cat on mine except the muffler!

Thanks for the suggestion....and so it goes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No joy on the TPS. Gonna have to take it in to get the fuel pressure checked...hello Tom's 4x4!
One thing to pass along. I had trouble seeing the screws for the TPSsince they face the firewall. Used the reverse camera on my phone to see what I was doing. Used it to "see" around the skid plate looking for d/s 02 sensor, too. It worked! Can't find vacuum leak. Had a fellow suggest running sea foam throught the vacuum system. Not too sure about that one.
One more thing...now getting codes 51 and 41, in that order.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you ever check the ignition timing? Or at least see if the distributor cap feel loose? If you can turn it by hand, then it could have turned from vibrations.

I don't know about the YJs, but does it have a vacuum line going into the distributor? That mechanism could be failing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't check the timing... I'll try to do that tomorrow. Distributor is tight so I don't think it moved. Still so many things it could be...think I'll take it to a pro and see what the diagnosis ends up being. Need to get my dd back!
Thanks to you all for your thoughts and time!
RP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I found a vacuum leak, one of the rubber covers had cracked. It does run a bit better, but there is still a hesitation when it hits about 2500 rpm and it won't start after running. You have to wait about 30 minutes to get it started. All the codes have cleared...SO, at this point I believe it is the fuel pump. Without a gauge I'm just guessing but since I don't hear the little hum when I first turn the key and I don't get the small hiss when I uncap the gas tank I'm thinking fuel pump! If you got anything I'd love to hear it...I may get a new gas cap just for s & g, but when the cap has been loose before it prompted the check engine light to come on. I'll let you know what I find out...again, thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The gas cap that came with my Wrangler is in a ditch in Minnesota somewhere. I bought a new one in North Dakota the next day when I finally noticed.

No, that didn't have a point. I just felt like sharing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Epilogue: New fuel pump is in and I'm back in business. In a way I'm glad it happened the way it did...I got more experience working and diagnosing my Jeep and I replaced things that needed replacing, hopefully preventing problems before they happen. Many thanks to everyone for their suggestion!
And so it goes......

·
Registered
100 Posts
The longer you have one the more you know about it and the easier it is next time. In a way it's sad once you start replacing parts you've already replaced, but it's much easier the second time.

Glad you got her running again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts