Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a diesel in my 1995 jeep wrangler but I am not sure what engine would be best. I want the most possible low end torque. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I believe the 4bt Cummins is the swap to have. I would love to do a diesel swap but I am not even done with my V8 swap.

·
Registered
979 Posts
VW tdi, Mercedes 300d or the Cummins 4bt are the most common swaps.
The 4BT is the cheapest to do parts wise. That engine is very heavy though and that sucker is big and tall. Still a very reliable engine, except for the injection pump those Bosch distributor pumps do go out and are expensive to rebuilt.
On top of that the BT engines love to leak oil all over the place

·
Registered
22 Posts
4bt is going to be your best bet out of a generator or truck. With the swap you should be getting roughly 25mpg lifted on 35s(atleast what I hear the norm is when doing it) but its a pain in the a** and usually can end up costing somewhere around 4-7gs to do

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Junk Yard, Craigslist. Find out what they came in and start searching for that vehicle/generator as a donor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or at least to contact that guy and see exactly what he had to do so you have an idea.... I dont know which forum it was but someone had a write up on the whole build of a 4bt to a TJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
the rebuild on it is going to cost you a pretty penny as well as getting the right kind of pump...the price however does seem right if anything offer the guy $900 cash maybe he'll take it and make sure you find out EXACTLY what the engine came out of build date and all because a lot of those fuel pumps/parts were very specific to manufactured date

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a few dozers and backhoes with it but I don't think they would sell me just the engine. I also found a wood chipper with it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah thats what they mostly come out off or generators I had a guy at a shop i work at who worked rebuilding these and he said he would give me one for $500 bucks and I freaking lost his phone number, I've been crossing my fingers ever since for him to come by the shop again lol.....I hope this helps however this guy specializes in swaps and maybe he'll be able to sell you an engine: http://jeffdanielsjeeps.com/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for. Should make for a great senior project don't you think? And if you do find one for sale you should let me know. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts