Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help here.

Bought my 94 YJ in the summer and it runs like a top. NO issues at all. Oil pressure is perfect, battery is at the correct amps. Engine has 200,000 + mileage.

Now ever since it has gone below 40 to 30 degrees here in the North East I have trouble getting it to crank over.

Depending on the air temp. dictates how long it takes for it to crank and start.
Example 40 degrees it will take 3 tries. last night @ 2 am at 13 degrees 32 minutes to start. :(

The Ignition is a little tight (turning the key to start) when it's cold out also.

If it has been running for a while (engine is now warm) it will start on the first shot the next time it needs to be started.

What should i be looking to replace on my baby so I may remedy this issue.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance.
B.
:eek:

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Move to a warmer climate. /thread.

Seriously, it sounds like an electrical problem. I had the same issue with a Honda in Ohio. The salt on the roads corrodes the connections every where. First try spraying all the connections on your starter with WD-40. It will help but if the corrosion is bad enough the current won't flow through it.
When you are trying to start it the current is warming the connections (electro-motive force) and it eventually gets warm enough to start. The starter may be internally corroded also.
Squirt some powdered graphite into the ignition switch. If you can't find any get some contact cleaner in a spray can from Radio Shack. It could be a bad ignition switch too. More likely the starter area tho'.
Cleaning all the contact points will probably solve it. Good luck and let us know what worked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Ignition is a little tight (turning the key to start) when it's cold out also.
The grease on the ignition rack gets thick in cold weather and makes it harder to turn the key.

Make sure the battery is healthy. Even a good battery does not perform as well in cold weather. As mentioned, the electrical connections develop resistance as they age and this along with the lower battery output in the cold can cause the hard starting problem. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. Same goes for the ground connections. An ignition tune-up wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the lag in re-posting an update but it's been a busy week or two. Any how. Not the battery had it checked it has ample cold crank, and the terminals are squeaky clean. Not the plugs, they are all new.

Ran Seafoam through the gas this past week to clean out the fuel system. Now my engine runs smooth and quiet (when she starts). But still having the "i'm old and cold and don't wanna start" issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts