Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am a new Jeep owner (94 Wrangler YJ S model) and had a question that I would like to pose regarding the curb weight. The specs that I found when doing my purchase indicates that the '94 has a curb weight of 2,861 pounds, yet in another posting in this forum about YJ Stock specs, the curb weight is listed as being between 3028-3241 pounds. My primary concern is due to the fact that we plan on using the vehicle primarily as a tow behind for a 24' Gulf Stream Conquest, which according to Gulf Stream I have a towing limit of 3700 pounds. The previous owner removed the original sized tires and put some 33's on it, which of course weigh more. So I was just wondering if anyone else had seen a lower curb weight also? Of course, the original owners manual was no where to be found, so a lot of my information on specifications comes from what I can find online. I would appreciate any input available. We have put a Smittybilt tow bar on the front, and a set of running boards to help getting into/out of the vehicle, but other than that, it seems to be OE, with a soft top. I can pull the back seat if needed, but would prefer not to. Now that we've got all we're going to add, I'm planning a trip down to the Pilot Station to get a curb weight for this specific vehicle, but would like to have a clarification on the weight differences. We're working on getting the little issues resolved. Lastly, to whomever is running this site, I'd like to say thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am a new Jeep owner (94 Wrangler YJ S model) and had a question that I would like to pose regarding the curb weight. The specs that I found when doing my purchase indicates that the '94 has a curb weight of 2,861 pounds, yet in another posting in this forum about YJ Stock specs, the curb weight is listed as being between 3028-3241 pounds. My primary concern is due to the fact that we plan on using the vehicle primarily as a tow behind for a 24' Gulf Stream Conquest, which according to Gulf Stream I have a towing limit of 3700 pounds. The previous owner removed the original sized tires and put some 33's on it, which of course weigh more. So I was just wondering if anyone else had seen a lower curb weight also? Of course, the original owners manual was no where to be found, so a lot of my information on specifications comes from what I can find online. I would appreciate any input available. We have put a Smittybilt tow bar on the front, and a set of running boards to help getting into/out of the vehicle, but other than that, it seems to be OE, with a soft top. I can pull the back seat if needed, but would prefer not to. Now that we've got all we're going to add, I'm planning a trip down to the Pilot Station to get a curb weight for this specific vehicle, but would like to have a clarification on the weight differences. We're working on getting the little issues resolved. Lastly, to whomever is running this site, I'd like to say thanks.
Update: After putting a SmittyBilt tow bar/chains, and some side rails, I took the Jeep over to the scales at the Pilot station. Weight came out at 3240 pounds. We drove to Georgia last week and it tracked like a champ. Checking the mileage we only lost about 1 mile/gallon (9.2 down to 8.5). Now, once I get the other little quirks out of it, I think this will turn out to be a good match. Now it's time to figure out why my oil pressure drops when I come to a stop. Later all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts