Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my jeep used about three months ago. Approximately three weeks ago I noticed a couple spots under my jeep of what appears to be coming from an oil leak, prior to that there has been no visual indication or smell of any leakage. The oil leak appears to start near the top and back of the engine block/top of the bell housing and runs down both sides of the bell housing and from the front to the rear of the frame. After cleaning the area a few times with engine and brake cleaner, it appears that when idling the leak is so slight that it is not noticeable, but once I drive the vehicle for a mile or two from my home at 35-45 mph and return it is very obvious that the leak gets worse with the higher RPMs. I have done some research and understand that a very common occurrence is that the oil filter housing fails on the 3.6L Penastar motor. I have about 41,000 miles, I use full synthetic and change my oil approximately every 2000 miles.
Before I disassemble the upper and lower intake and do the process to replace the oil filter housing unit, I noticed something that has brought into question something that I cannot get answered by my local jeep dealership here in Fairbanks, Alaska. Question: I may be reaching for straws but I have noticed on all of the youtube videos and after looking at some Wranglers on the jeep dealership's parking lot today with a couple salesmen, it always shows that there are three lines/hoses that run along the passenger side of the upper intake manifold. I have the bottom two lines/hoses which seem to be made out of metal with some rubber ends. My engine is missing the upper-most hose - the one with what appears in the videos to have a plastic plug on the end facing the front bumper. I hate to admit this, but I am not sure if when I purchased the jeep the top hose was present or not. Question: Can somebody out there tell me what this hose is used for and where does it run as in the videos and visually seeing on vehicles in the dealer parking it runs toward the back of the engine area. I am hoping that maybe my hose somehow came off and that is causing the leak and not the oil filter housing. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I was able to find out that the missing line that runs above the other two hoses on the passenger side of the upper intake manifold is the automatic transmission vent line and is absolutely required. So it is transmission fluid leaking out of where this line connects to the bell housing/transmission and not oil leaking from the oil filter housing unit. Which makes sense as the dip stick for the oil never shows a lose of oil corresponding to the leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts