Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a newbie here. We have a new Jeep Wrangler, 2014 model, which we purchased from new out here in Abu Dhabi, UAE, at the end of October. It now has about 4400km on it. It has been in an out of the garage under warranty for vibration juddering. This is not a wheel vibration, it is like someone is shoving you forwards and back in the car. It happens at 54 / 64 / 70 / 98 kmh. Which is around 1500 to 2000 rpm. The car is an automatic, Sahara 5 door wrangler. No lifts, standard UAE tyres.
Garage has checked prop shafts, wheels, shock absorbers and is now running out of options. I'm considering returning the vehicle.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you have "Death Wobble"

I'm visiting the Forum looking for information on the so-called "death wobble" many Jeep owners have reported. It happened to me last week as I attempted to exit an interstate. The shuddering was so bad I couldn't control my 2010 JK, but finally managed to get it stopped going straight ahead just before it could pitch over a steep embankment. I was only a few blocks away from a Jeep specialty store where a year ago I had a full suspension upgrade (shocks, springs, geometry correction brackets and a steering stabilizer) installed. They checked everything out and found a few loose suspension components and a shot steering stabilizer.

They tightened anything loose, installed a new stabilizer and sent me on my way. It happened again a day later as I again attempted to decelerate to exit an interstate. Braking with a slight steering input in. So I'm thinking braking. But as I went back in the other direction the severe wobble struck again as I was accelerating up the onramp to enter traffic. Accelerating with slight steering input. I was lucky to survive that, because your steering control just goes away. I called the well-known maker of the 2 1/2" lift suspension system, which I won't name here because I can't see how their system played any role in this. They said death wobble was typically encountered with Jeeps having worn track bar components, chiefly the bushing. Wranglers and Cherokees, too. The other usual cause would be worn ball joints, they said. I only have 20,000 miles on my JK but they said it can happen with low miles. So Monday I am having a Teraflex track bar installed that is about twice as stout as the factory item, and is adjustable for zero to 6 inches of lift. So they can remove the geo bracket now in use. I found one technical forum discussion here where there are comments indicating the death wobble was due to poor user maintenance, followed by an idiotic discussion about the role of round vs square headlights. But my second and third wobble events occurred the day after a full review of all components, the tightening of any loose suspension components, and the installation of a new steering stabilizer. On a Jeep with 20,000 miles (not 100,000 as some suggested). So, since your JK is under factory warrantee, I'd have the dealer there contact Chrysler and have them trouble-shoot it. This seems to be a common problem with some Jeeps. They may need to have the dealer replace the track arm and/or ball joints just to see if those could be the culprit. But they need to do something to fix your problem. It can kill you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts