Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a small boat.
Is 2500lbs too much to ask my wrangler to tow?

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I towed my 4500 pound boat weekly to the lake, but drove two blocks only and never went on a public road to get to it. I could also do wheelies on the speed bumps, but we won't go there. Bottom line is that a 2500 pound boat should have a tongue weight of 250 pounds, so a HD class 3 receiver should work for you, provided you were not going to tow the boat for 500 miles. Check the owner's manual for the maximum towing capacity for certain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
I'm only going to be driving a few miles most of the time. 30 at the most.
I put a Hidden Hitch Round Tube Class III Trailer Hitch last spring so I should be good there.

Online I saw only 1000lbs towing capacity.
I'm not sure what to do.

Year Model Max Towing Capacity (lbs)
2006 Commander 3500
Grand Cherokee 3500
Liberty 3500
Wrangler 1000

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Hidden Hitch Round Tube Class III Trailer Hitch. If it is just bolted to the back of the frame, I believe it will be too light. My hitch had 6 grade 8 bolts wrapped on both sides of the gas tank and also rear frame mounted with grade 8 bolts, and was strong as hell. You might be able to strengthen it with some added steel straps. Once this is done, go to any boat dealer (or a private party) and tell them your concerns and they might just let you take a trailered boat out for a spin to see how it handles it?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
If this is what you have (or similar) then no, it is way too light for anything except maybe a small 8' empty utility trailer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
You just need to Google "frame mounted trailer hitch." What you got there is a bumper hitch. In my opinion, they are only for looks or to possible plug in a light bicycle rack.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
This would work for your jeep. I found it at Quadratec.

Hidden Hitch Class III Trailer Hitch for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ & TJ
Quite simply, Receiver Hitches are the only way to go for a Jeep®. Since Jeeps® have a high-mounted chassis, most drawbar style hitches do not line up correctly with the trailer coupler... more
» Click here for details $129.99 12015.00

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
The one above has six separate mounting points, rather than your 4 mounting points. It is still a little more lightweight than the one I purchased, but it gives you an idea what to look for. More mounting points = higher capacity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts