Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay I do not know much about mechanics and whatnot about any vehicle but i am trying to learn and my jeep is my learning vehicle. Everything seems easily accessible and its got enough clearance for me to get under it. Perfect for me :p

Anyway getting to the point of this thread. Below is basically all i have found out about the jeep and i got it off a site that was talking about the 06 GE package. Its at 108k miles and it feels like things are starting to go and so i would like any imput about the vehicle and or any parts ideal for replaceing the stock with.
I dont really go wheeling since delaware is flat and eventless. (Though there was that Jeep Week thing going on in Ocean city last week.) Anyway She is my only vehicle so i use her for daily driving, towing, and once in a while on the beach.

All i have found out so far: (keep in mind i dont know what any of this crap means all i know is its in my jeep and i love my jeep)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport- Golden Eagle Edition
4-speed automatic
4.0-liter, 190-horsepower I6, Quadra-Coil suspension, and Command-Trac 4WD transfer case
a heavy-duty Dana 44 rear axle, 30-inch off-road tires, two-tone seats with unique Golden Eagle embroidery, an upgraded seven-speaker audio system, a silver center-stack bezel, gas-charged shocks, 15-inch gold-aluminum wheels, and Golden Eagle decals on the exterior

Things i have added Since i've gotten it:
3x- 100watt Rugged Ridge K/c lights
High Flow Air Scoop in Smoke
31x10.5 firestone Destination A/t (came stock with 30s)
mirror brackets move the mirrors to the frame from the door.
And put in Kenworth speakers when stocks blew (courtesy of my brother)

For those who can suggest replacing parts with other parts... I am fairly low on cash so im looking for quality but not too expensive.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum.
Second, thank you for NOT putting an 's' on the word 'anyway' like so many others do to show they have no command of the English language.
Third, the 4.0 is an I6 not a V6. It is an in line six cylinder engine.

It sounds like a nice Jeep. Just exactly what "feels like things are starting to go" are you talking about?
We are happy to help with crappy advice here since we all wrench on out Jeeps ourselves. There is a pretty good knowledge base active here.
More details of troubles or potential troubles would help.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not taken the jeep to a shop but twice since i've had it and the issues were the front breaks. First person to change my breaks F'ed up some how and they ended up locking up and melting and all kinds of stuff. (that was not a fun day.)

But anyway i have a few friends who are knowlegeable in the mechanics of vehicles and i've had them look at my jeep a few times. Showing me how to put grease in my bushings (or how ever that is worded) and he told me some time last year my shocks were done and need to be replaced. I havent had the chance or the money to take it to the shop but it is something im doing with in the next 2 weeks. (recommendations for what type/brand or whatever would be great so i can order them.. Quadratec has A/t ones for 39.99 a set. i was looking at those..)

This past week i had a noise that i tracked back to my Rear U-joints, had a friend look at them and i dont know what exactly it was but he tried to twist it or something and he said they were fine.. the noise has stopped since that day.. So im hoping that means its not a problem..

Also while riding down the road 40mph+ the jeep is making a Whooping sound? not exactly sure how to describe it..but it happens when its settled into a gear. When i let off the gas it stops.

This is all i can think of at the moment.. Im planning on taking it to a shop soon and having them do a look over to see what they can tell me.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Your mechanic may not have messed up the breaks, the calipers have been known to seize up after the pads have been replaced. It happened to me and 3 others in the club I'm in.

Anyways, your transmission should be an 42RLE, your transfer case should be the NP 231 and a Dana 30 front end

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Your mechanic may not have messed up the breaks, the calipers have been known to seize up after the pads have been replaced. It happened to me and 3 others in the club I'm in.

Anyways, your transmission should be an 42RLE, your transfer case should be the NP 231 and a Dana 30 front end
Thanks for the info, as far as the seize up the guys who fixed my brakes said the other guy didnt grease something and that was a big no-no. I dont remember exactly what because it was 2 years ago.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brakes! Not BREAKS!!!
Just sayin'.

It was an accident! i wasnt paying attention lol

Umm How do i know what U-joints to order for the rear axle? Im trying to get them from Quadratec and the guy said that i gotta measure the yoke but i dont know how. (Dana 44 just a reminder)

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Measure from the outside of cap to outside of cap area on the yoke. There should be a little metal stopper that keeps the caps in that you can measure from.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Measure from the outside of cap to outside of cap area on the yoke. There should be a little metal stopper that keeps the caps in that you can measure from.
Im using a measuring tape right? if so it looks like its 2 1/4 inches i havent disconnected it.. im just trying to order parts and then gonna have a mechanic put it on.. i dont have the knowledge or the tools to do it myself.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i measured it up and hopefully got the right kind...
Replacing Sway bar links, Heater/ac blower, Rear U-joints, and shocks.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay update on jeep and question.

Update: U-joints and swaybar links replaced. Shocks sent them back to Quadratec cause they didnt fit (M95 doesnt fit my jeep, Mechanic said they are for a 2" lift..) and so now i need to order shocks and boots again.

Question: How do i replace a Heater & A/c motor under the dash. Im trying not to break anything so i figured i'd ask first. I tried unplugging it to start off but not exactly sure how to do that with out breaking the plug.

·
17 Posts
For the heater/ac blower, you have to contort yourself in such a manner as to be able to see the under side of the blower unit.
After you unplug it, there is a plastic tab securing the motor in place. You simply push the tab away from the motor and rotate the motor a 1/4 turn an it should drop right out.
I do this every spring when I clean/disinfect the blower ducts. They can get pretty nasty down here in the swamp!

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright thank you, wasnt sure if there was some sort of crazy trick..instead its some crazy positioning lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts