Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Yesterday I was replacing my fuel pump and while I was at it I decided to do the 15-20 gallon gas tank conversion, and when I pulled the tank down and the sending unit out, I realized there was no hose that extended into my gas tank. I did how ever see a yellow rectangular plastic "bin" I will call it riveted into the bottom of the tank. I can never pump more than 14.3-14.8 gallons into my 93 yj, anyone know how to get it to 20 gallon tank and is the yellow "bin preventing me from getting the extra 5 gallons at the bottom of the tank? There is no way for the fuel to enter the bin other than over flowing over the side and into the bin where the pickup is. Anybody please help. I really want those extra couple gallons in my tank

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
It sounds like you already have the 20 gallon tank. If you had a 15 you would not be able to pump more then 12-13 gallons even running it out of gas. How low are you when you fill up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My gauge says empty but when I dropped the tank it still had about 8 gallons or so in the tank, do I have to adjust the float or something?

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
I'm usually full of bad ideas, but well, its just how I am. Have you considered going on a drive with a jerry can along. After it hits empty, start keeping track of the miles you drive until it runs out. Then use the gas you brought to get you to a gas station. That will let you know how much you have left for sure in miles. When my car reads empty, I don't stress about it at all, as there is in reality lots left. In average driving conditions "Empty" is still good for at least another 105 miles approximately, and it was still running, so not sure how much further it would go. It was in an area where there is only small towns, and they close early. I just kept driving until I found one open. If it had run out, so be it, as I had no spare gas along, and at that point it was chance it, or just give up and be stranded while it still ran, which seemed silly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would help if my speedometer and tripometer worked lol I gotta rewire the dash to accept my auto meter gauges

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point, I could also use my iPhone, I have an app cast tripcast, from jeep so I can use that. I'll have to run my tank dry first then fill er up and go from there, thanks for the tip

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Many do not know this, but speedometers are often grossly innacurate anyways. A friend of mine was testing some new trucks a few years ago, I just happened to have my GPS along and so did he. Our 2 different brands of GPS read exactly the same, yet the speedometer readings were different, the Chevrolet truck was the worst, at highway speeds it was over 10% off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's an interesting bit of information, thanks for that heads up, I might just use a gps system them as my speedometer

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
The only downside I see to that is this, if you are in an area the GPS unit cannot see enough sattelites, it will not work, and they have a lag in their speed reading as you accelerate, or decelerate. So if you happen to need instant speed information and are not holding a steady speed it will be a couple seconds behind, or at least mine is. But mine is very accurate, so that said I trust it far more than any speedometer, and since my pickups speedometer stopped working many months ago, the GPS is all I have used in it. Although it is being repaired now, along with a long list of other items that needed doing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Waited until I just about ran out of fuel to fill up my rig and it took 19.73 gallons. Turns out I have a 20 gallon tank after all. Thanks guys for the help and your opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That was 93 octane and on my card too, regular 89 octane and cash is 3.20 a gallon, I wish it was back down to what is what when I started driving lol

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Still 3.69 for 87 where I live...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts