Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 jeep wrangler it has the 2.5 I want to go to the 4.0 I know I'll need the ax15 transmission and wiring harness and computer just don't know if I have to change transfer case and the front and rear ends

·
Registered
22 Posts
You'll have to get engine mounts as well and I'm pretty sure the transfer case/danas don't have to be changed. BUT you might as well throw some dana44s on it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The input shaft is different on the transfer case also, will need to swap transfer case or just get a input shaft from the 4.0 and swap it in.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Everything in the drivetrain needs to be swapped. Your axles have too short of a gearing, you'll be running that engine way over what it should be on the freeways with 4.10 gears.

Why bother with a 4.0 swap? If you're going to go through all of the hassles of swapping the engine, wiring harness, transmission, transfercase, axles, re-routing your exhaust, etc. etc. and ontop of all of that getting it all legalized, then why stop short with a simple 195hp engine?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Everything in the drivetrain needs to be swapped. Your axles have too short of a gearing, you'll be running that engine way over what it should be on the freeways with 4.10 gears.

Why bother with a 4.0 swap? If you're going to go through all of the hassles of swapping the engine, wiring harness, transmission, transfercase, axles, re-routing your exhaust, etc. etc. and ontop of all of that getting it all legalized, then why stop short with a simple 195hp engine?

mmmmNo. I run 4:10's in my Dana 30 from a four cyilinder '95 YJ, and 4:11's in the rear 8.8 from a Furd Exploder. I can cruise at 70-75 on the freeway no problem, and I'm only on 33's.
Actually the 4:10's are the perfect ratio for the six.
The problem you will have with the swap are the motor mounts as mentioned, you will need the 4.0 mounts and the mouning brackets to the frame are in a different place. Simple enough to solve.
The wiring harness in the four and six are very similar and you just need to add the computer from the 4.0 and a few more wires for the extra injectors.
The fuel tanks are the same, pump in the tank. Exhaust is easy or cheap if you take it to a muffler shop.
The radiators I THINK is the same, maybe not.
The transmission from the 4 will not fit the six. AX5 in the 4, AX15 in the six.
As mentioned the output shaft has a different spline count so you either need to change the t-case or get a different receiver gear (Advance Adapters makes them) for the t-case input.
There are tons of threads about this swap all over the internet. Do you homework before you begin. It's not that difficult.
A V8 swap however, takes lots of time and money, in addition to money and time.

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Not everyone lives in a smog Nazi state xpress.. Not everyone needs to get swaps legalized

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
It's getting worse every year here in Kommiefornia.

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Glad I don't live there.. Just wait till obdIII comes out, you'll never want to buy a new vehicle again.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Rik, the 4 cylinder likes to run around 3000rpm and 70mph for cruising, the 6 likes to run closer to 2000 rpm, so you definitely need to go to larger tires, around 33" for 4.10 gears to create a more perfect match.

However nobody in their right mind would put 33"s on a D35... For Jeeps sake I broke mine on a paved road with 29" tires, and I was coasting :eek:

Not everyone lives in a smog Nazi state xpress.. Not everyone needs to get swaps legalized
For the sake of legality purposes, YES you are required by LAW to have ANY engine swap legalized in ALL 50 states...

Saving my own ass for when the finger pointing goes about..:cool:

Don't like Cali? Go move somewhere else then.

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Xpress said:
Rik, the 4 cylinder likes to run around 3000rpm and 70mph for cruising, the 6 likes to run closer to 2000 rpm, so you definitely need to go to larger tires, around 33" for 4.10 gears to create a more perfect match.

However nobody in their right mind would put 33"s on a D35... For Jeeps sake I broke mine on a paved road with 29" tires, and I was coasting :eek:

For the sake of legality purposes, YES you are required by LAW to have ANY engine swap legalized in ALL 50 states...

Saving my own ass for when the finger pointing goes about..:cool:

Don't like Cali? Go move somewhere else then.
Mind telling me where i'm supposed to report my engine swap to? Lol..

All I am required to do is emissions testing every other year, if I pass the state could give a crap about what motor is in it. If the state doesn't care the federal govt won't know.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Your local motorized automobile department of course!

A SMOG tech should recognize immediately that there is something wrong, at least a properly trained one. All we can hope is we get the new kid who doesn't know the difference between a spark plug or a distributor and he passes it :)

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
All they do here is check the gas cap, and for obdI they put a sniffer in your tail pipe, run it at idle and run it at cruising speed, if you don't put out more emissions than allowed for your model year you pass

1 - 12 of 12 Posts