Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be taking posession of my new Rubicon in roughly 1 month from now. Its not anything special, just a 2 door, stickshift, regular Jeep. My decision to purchase a Rubi as I see them called frequently, was because its going to be a fun day vehicle. Not our primary mode of transport. It will do errand runs to the grocery store, take me to golf courses, sunny day drives in the country, and yes, offroading. It should do anything I require from my reading, without needing major upgrades, as it sounds like a capable unit in its stock form. Chose it, so when I go wheeling, its able to do so right away, I am not a work on my cars guy for enjoyment. I prefer to drive them, wash them, and then let a shop do the requored services. So that said, finally my question is this. Known flaws, weaknesses, faults, whatever word you choose, does the Rubi need anything upgraded right away before I take it offroad, because that area is a known weakness ? If so please comment on the specific area, or part(s) be it motor mounts, clutch, wheels, or is it ready to rumble stock as I hope. I am not an extremist, just general offroading, not trying to scale vertical rock faces, or cross 7 foot deep streams.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
It's horrible. You should have it shipped to me and I can get it in descent shape in say, three to four years. Then I'll let you come pick it up.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, paranoid now, our last new vehicle is a nightmare at best. Wife says she wants me to put her new car up for sale and this time asked me to go choose, and purchase her next new car. The loss we are about to take monetarily will be significant. As a general rule we have kept vehicles a long time. Now suddenly selling an 8 month old car, with 7,100 kms on the odemeter. Not even sure what to ask for it.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I'll give you a dollar for it... :D

I wouldn't want to buy a new vehicle because of the hit the value takes the second you sign the papers. That and once its a couple years old all the bugs should be out of it...

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
$2....

Don't make me lock this :D

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
We're all about generous... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 5th Jeep is the 2012 Rubicon 2 door since 1976 and they just keep getting better. I thought my 2004 Rubi was nice untill I drove the 2012 JK. You will love it.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks WinterHawk, and welcome to the forum. Yes I was impressed just test driving them. I drove several, deciding what I wanted. Finally chose a Rubicon, stick, 2 door. Also tried the Unlimited aka 4 door, and automatics.. All drove much nicer than the many older Jeeps I've driven. Was nice that the sales lady let me and my brother go alone. That way we could actually go offroad some to try it, and appreciate the incredibly low range transfer case, and such. Glad you are liking yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes. Big problem. They left the skids off the '12 rubicons. Got home with mine and my buddy and I were drooling over it when we looked underneath. Our jaws dropped. No flipping skids. I figured I would drive it for a year and let the aftermarket catch up since mine was the 2 nd one driven off the lot. Now I have so many choices I am locked up. So indecisive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts