Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some threads on 1-ton steering steering components that are configured in an inverted T design. it looks like this:

These kits are sold by many vendors...including some on this forum.
They will tell you that these are the greatest thing since sliced bread...I beg to differ.
I had a set up like the one pictured. When I bought my kit, I believed that I had an upgraded steering system. The tie rods, drag link, and TRE's were heavier, so it has to be good, right? Wrong.
I will never again own an inverted T steering system.
Years ago, I installed this mess in my first Jeep. I installed it per the manufacturers instructions, to include torque values. Within a couple of weeks, I expierenced first hand, the problem with this design.
Here is what I found:
The inverted T system is designed with the drag link attached to the tie rod or the TRE. The tie rod spans the width between the steering knuckles. One would think that this is a good thing (I did...once), it is not. If you conduct a dry steer test on your inverted T set-up, you will see that as steering is input, the drag link will rotate the tie rod on the TRE's without actually moving the steering knuckles thus creating a dead spot in the steering cycle.
I am told that the addition of washers or polymer bushings remove nearly all the deadspot from this set up. I am skeptical.
I am also told that I shouldn't worry about the poly bushings wearing out since ball joints, TRE's and alternators wear out also. Although the statement is true, it seems like a bandaid to a poor design...you be the judge.(I would also prefer to have the alternator come apart at 50 mph than any part of the steering system)
I personally prefer the factory style Y type set up or a HD version, although I have seen an over/under the steering knuckle design that looks promising.
I am not a certified ASE mechanic, engineer, manufacturer, just a very mechanically inclined aging old fart who likes to work on his Jeeps.
I am simply reporting my observations here. If your opinions differ, GREAT! I will not complain and cry and have your post removed from my thread:D
YOUR OPINIONS ARE WELCOME HERE.

Good night and God Bless!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some are better than others and lumping them all together doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not all 1 ton steering systems are created equal and it's up to the end user to wade through all the options and select the one that works for their needs.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten.

The right spacer (not a bushing) properly installed will negate the tie-rod roll. Will the spacers wear out and eventually need to be replaced? Of course they will. Basic maintenance is pretty basic.

The Inverted-T design has been around for a long, long time and has been used by a lot of folks on a lot of different vehicles. Obviously some have better results than others...that's normal with any mod.

Yes I sell 1-Ton Steering and yes I'm a believer in the benefits of it as well. Based on the pic you posted I'm 99.9% sure I know which kit you bought....and I'm supplying my kit to a local jeeper that recently taco'd his (Exactly the same as your pic).

Sorry you're "Lesser" kit didn't pan out for you and hopefully what ever you're using now meets your needs.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Any steering setup that relies on a spacer wedged between the rod end and the tierod to keep it from rolling is flawed. Inverted Tsetup works fine when the draglink lies horizontal thus eliminating the tierod roll. In a lifted TJ, XJ and WJ this is not the case and due to the draglink angle it will try to roll the tierod before moving the wheels, the spacer temporarily eliminates this, but at best is a stop gap solution. If it works for ya great, for most it doesn't in the long run.
Pretty much anybody that owns one of these setups, ends up taking it off and replacing it with something better in the long run.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some are better than others and lumping them all together doesn't make a lot of sense.

Not all 1 ton steering systems are created equal and it's up to the end user to wade through all the options and select the one that works for their needs.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten.

The right spacer (not a bushing) properly installed will negate the tie-rod roll. Will the spacers wear out and eventually need to be replaced? Of course they will. Basic maintenance is pretty basic.

The Inverted-T design has been around for a long, long time and has been used by a lot of folks on a lot of different vehicles. Obviously some have better results than others...that's normal with any mod.

Yes I sell 1-Ton Steering and yes I'm a believer in the benefits of it as well. Based on the pic you posted I'm 99.9% sure I know which kit you bought....and I'm supplying my kit to a local jeeper that recently taco'd his (Exactly the same as your pic).

Sorry you're "Lesser" kit didn't pan out for you and hopefully what ever you're using now meets your needs.

I wasn't lumping anything together. I'm simply expressing an opinion on what I consider to be a flawed design.
I don't recall mentioning any brand names whatsoever, in fact, I specifically exempted your company in the posts that you had deleted from your sticky.
I also don't understand why you are so quick to defend a design that has to be band aided by spacers in order to function correctly....nevermind, I do understand.
The point wasn't wether the kit was of high or low quality (and you don't know which one I had, since the pic I posted was from a Google image search) it was about the core design.
And the biggest point that I think you are missing..I am one man- one single opinion out of thousands that see this forum. The more you take my opinion personally(which is absolutely not intended) the more attention you draw to it.
I am truly glad that you haven't had any customer complaints and wish you continued success in your venture.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, one person with an opinion. You're entitled to it.
Same for me.

I'm not bothered by it, I'm simply offering my opinion which happens to differ from yours.

The Tech Write-up you're referring to wasn't written by me, but I do think it was the wrong place to state your opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts