Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 1" lift worthwhile as long as I'm riding on stock-sized tires. I plan to upsize to 35" tires from the stock 32" on my '08 Sahara but since I recently spent $600 to purchase a full set the chassis lift (planned 2") is postponed until the tires wear a bit.

I don't intend any extreme trail riding--purchased the Jeep for winter travel mostly--but would like to run Red lvl 7 or 8 trails at Rousch Creek when I go. Handled to 5 factory stock, which surprised a number of TJ owners.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
It all depends on what your future plans are. I don't have one but I have also homebuilt my suspension and don't need one. Many times they are a plus depending on the future. If you just want to get that extra inch for clearance issues and it is not a wheeling jeep then yes it is very worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with Chris. Body lifts are a very inexpensive way to gain clearance. I've got a 4.5" lift on my jeep, and when I upgraded from 35" tire to 37" tires I had rubbing issues on the fender flares. The body lift was less than $100 and problem was solved in a few hours.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I'm running 33/12.50X16's with a 2.5 inch suspension lift. I have the 1 inch Daystar body lift. I rub my tires on full compression at full lock against my leaf springs just a little. Not enough to worry about. But they never rub on the fenders. They are close tho' and I wheel to full flex often.
So yeah, it's worth the money for the extra inch.
I also did the Brown Dog 1 inch motor mount lift so there was no need to move my radiator shroud.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I personally dont like body lifts and would rather butcher my rig, but for what your going for Id probably do it.

For Rik, 4' springs, 36" Iroks, NO rubbing!!!, lots of cutting under the fenders and some bump stop work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running 33/12.50X16's with a 2.5 inch suspension lift. I have the 1 inch Daystar body lift. I rub my tires on full compression at full lock against my leaf springs just a little. Not enough to worry about. But they never rub on the fenders. They are close tho' and I wheel to full flex often.
So yeah, it's worth the money for the extra inch.
I also did the Brown Dog 1 inch motor mount lift so there was no need to move my radiator shroud.
Thank you, you just pointed out something I wasn't aware of. This, then, raises a new question about the lift in that if you raise your motor too, what effect does that have on the transfer case since, I believe, that's frame mounted? How does it stress the output shaft between the transmission (manual) and the transfer case? Will I need a longer transfer case shifter arm?

Look at me as a newbie if you will--pretty much I am though I have gone out a bit--and I'm willing to learn from scratch. Most of my questions are as much to learn the "why" as the "how" with each mod.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
No. I did the motor mount lift to change the drive line angle.
When you do a suspension lift the output angle from the t-case to the rear diff changes as the rear diff drops.
Many lift kits come with a t-case drop that goes between the frame and the t-case skid plate to angle the output downward a bit to eliminate vibrations from the drive shaft, because the u-joints are hyper-extended.
I only wanted a 2.5 inch lift because I never intend to go any bigger than 33's and I wanted to keep the center of gravity low.
Even a 2.5 inch lift requires a t-case drop. The motor mount lift eliminated the drop by raising the front of the engine up and changes the angle of the t-case output.
I also did a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) on my t-case, a double-cardan drive shaft, and swapped out that Dana turdy-five for a Ford 8.8 rear end.
Just doing a 1 inch body lift should not effect your shifter. I have heard of it being a problem in CJ's and YJ's where the shifter hit the floorboard when trying to get into reverse, but a little trimming and that problem is gone. The motor mount lift eliminates that problem as well, but if you are a stock height on your suspension you don't need a motor mount lift.
Does that info help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1" Performance Accessories body lift with a 1.75" Trail Master leveling kit. The cost before install was $160 and tax. I run 35" tires and am very happy with it. I have taken it off roading several times and have been able to do the same obstacles guys with 3 and 4" lifts were doing. I am very please with the stance the lift gave me.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I have a 1" Performance Accessories body lift with a 1.75" Trail Master leveling kit. The cost before install was $160 and tax. I run 35" tires and am very happy with it. I have taken it off roading several times and have been able to do the same obstacles guys with 3 and 4" lifts were doing. I am very please with the stance the lift gave me.
It must be a TJ or a JK, 'cuz a YJ could never handle 35s with just those mods.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. I did the motor mount lift to change the drive line angle.
When you do a suspension lift the output angle from the t-case to the rear diff changes as the rear diff drops.
Many lift kits come with a t-case drop that goes between the frame and the t-case skid plate to angle the output downward a bit to eliminate vibrations from the drive shaft, because the u-joints are hyper-extended.
I only wanted a 2.5 inch lift because I never intend to go any bigger than 33's and I wanted to keep the center of gravity low.
Even a 2.5 inch lift requires a t-case drop. The motor mount lift eliminated the drop by raising the front of the engine up and changes the angle of the t-case output.
I also did a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) on my t-case, a double-cardan drive shaft, and swapped out that Dana turdy-five for a Ford 8.8 rear end.
Just doing a 1 inch body lift should not effect your shifter. I have heard of it being a problem in CJ's and YJ's where the shifter hit the floorboard when trying to get into reverse, but a little trimming and that problem is gone. The motor mount lift eliminates that problem as well, but if you are a stock height on your suspension you don't need a motor mount lift.
Does that info help?
That's a big help. Almost wish you were in my neck of the woods to help me lift it. I know almost nothing about the undersides of a Jeep.

That sounds pretty good. Would you mind clarifying the leveling kit? What benefit does it provide?

·
Registered
56 Posts
1.75" spacers over the front coils.

In my opinion, you would be better off with getting a kit like the Rough Country 3.25 kit. Inexpensive, and reasonably easy to install (coilsb spacers & shocks). To install the leveling spacers, you are gonna undo these anyway on the front. And then need an alignment too, might as well do the back as well. You can always do the body lift later, when you get 35s, if you are rubbing then.

Its your Jeep, dou what you want/need for the type of trails you are going to do. The best way to get to know your Jeep is to get your hands dirty. People will always answer your questions if you need help with it. Google search for clubs in your area and get involved. You'll have guys ready and willing to come help lift your Jeep when you get a kit to install. You're in a good area for wheelers. Here in Nova Scotia there's always someone to help out in the garage or driveway, and always someone waiting to go out on a rescue mission. The offroad community here i8s faster, cheaper & bettter than CAA (or AAA in the US!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
1.75" spacers over the front coils.

In my opinion, you would be better off with getting a kit like the Rough Country 3.25 kit. Inexpensive, and reasonably easy to install (coilsb spacers & shocks). To install the leveling spacers, you are gonna undo these anyway on the front. And then need an alignment too, might as well do the back as well. You can always do the body lift later, when you get 35s, if you are rubbing then.

Its your Jeep, dou what you want/need for the type of trails you are going to do. The best way to get to know your Jeep is to get your hands dirty. People will always answer your questions if you need help with it. Google search for clubs in your area and get involved. You'll have guys ready and willing to come help lift your Jeep when you get a kit to install. You're in a good area for wheelers. Here in Nova Scotia there's always someone to help out in the garage or driveway, and always someone waiting to go out on a rescue mission. The offroad community here i8s faster, cheaper & bettter than CAA (or AAA in the US!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pictures

yes I do have a JK

Here is a photo from when I first got the kit put on. Now I have different wheels, tires, bumpers and all

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Nice. Any ride difference with the leveling kit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice. Any ride difference with the leveling kit?
The ride quality is just like factory. I have not noticed any difference good or bad and I have put a few thousand miles on her so far. I will say that the main thing for me was the look. The JK's come off the lot nose down with that factory rake and I wanted to level that out. I am overall very happy with look, price and ride of my lift.

Also there is another picture of my jeep with a few more mods in my registry....

http://www.wranglerboard.com/wrangler-registry/airhub-250.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts