Jeep Wrangler Oil Change - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Jeep Wrangler OEM Forum

WranglerBoard.com is the premier Jeep Wrangler Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
jeepsr4grls
Short Bus Driver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Join Date Apr 2012
Default Jeep Wrangler Oil Change

Today we are doing an oil change on a 1994 Jeep Wrangler. Even though this demonstration is being done on a '94, it is applicable to any model Jeep Wrangler up to 2011.

Below you will find a picture of the basic equipment needed for changing your oil. A wrench that fits the drain plug on your specific Jeep, an oil filter wrench, and a drain pan.

Attachment 4794

If they are available, it is recommended that you drive the Jeep onto ramps or jack it up and place jack stands under it to allow for a little more clearance. Be sure that you engage the parking brake to ensure that the Jeep does not roll once you have lifted the front end.

When you crawl under the Jeep, you will need to locate the oil drain plug which will be located on the rear of the oil pan which faces the rear of the vehicle.

You will need to determine the correct sized wrench for the drain plug specific to your vehicle. Once you have the correct wrench, place the boxed end of the wrench over the drain plug and turn counter clockwise to loosen.

Attachment 4796

Place your oil drain pan under the end of the oil pan where the drain plug is located.
Once you have loosened the plug sufficiently that it can be turned by hand, slowly turn it until you are able to remove it from the pan.

Attachment 4797

It will take a few minutes for the oil to completely drain from the oil pan. While it's draining, open the hood and locate the oil filter. Normally the oil filter is located on the passenger side of the vehicle near the bottom of the engine.

Attachment 4798

Once you have located the oil filter, place the oil filter wrench over the end of it and rotate counter clockwise to remove.

Attachment 4799

After you have removed the old filter, check to be sure that the old rubber gasket/seal came off with the filter. If the old seal is not removed, the new filter will not seal properly and you will end up with a massive oil leak.

Attachment 4800

Place the old filter on the top of you drain pan to allow the oil to drain out of the filter into the drain pan.

Attachment 4801

Last edited by Barrie; 10-03-2012 at 04:40 AM.
jeepsr4grls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
jeepsr4grls
Short Bus Driver

Join Date Apr 2012

Prior to installing the new filter, it is important to place a thin coating of oil on the gasket on the new filter.

Attachment 4802

Install the new filter by reversing the removal procedure ensuring that it is as tight as possible by hand.

Attachment 4803

Once you have installed the new filter, you will have to crawl back under the Jeep to reinstall the drain plug. All of the oil should have had sufficient time to drain out of the oil pan.

Attachment 4804

Using the boxed end of the wrench, tighten the drain plug. Using a torque wrench, tighten the drain plug according to the torque specifications recommended for your particular vehicle. It may be possible to get a loaner torque wrench from a local parts store if you do not own one.

Attachment 4805

For the next step you will need to locate your oil filler cap located on the valve cover of your engine.

Attachment 4806

Remove the cap and place a funnel in the hole to minimize spillage when refilling with oil.

Refill with the manufacturer recommended oil for your specific year Jeep and motor.

Replace the oil cap.

At this time you can start your vehicle. Check to make sure that there are no leaks at the oil filter or drain plug.

Shut the vehicle off and check your oil level.
Once you are done,you will probably want to record the date and mileage of you vehicle to maintain a record of when your next oil change will be due.

Be sure to dispose of your old oil responsibly. Most parts stores will recycle your old oil free of charge.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
Chris

Join Date Nov 2011

Great write up. Thanks!

Garage Retreat
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
jeepsr4grls
Short Bus Driver

Join Date Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Great write up. Thanks!
Thanks Chris. Barrie and Jess did all the work.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
swells18002

Join Date Jun 2012

It looks like Jess did all the work. Or Barrie has some very feminine hands

Oh, Barrie was working the camera.

07 Rescue Green JK Unlimited Rubicon
swells18002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
jeepsr4grls
Short Bus Driver

Join Date Apr 2012

She did all the dirty work. Barrie took the pictures and I had to do all the typing.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Xpress
It's hip to be square.

Join Date Nov 2011

Opening up a can of worms:

Modern oils are designed and formulated a lot better than the dyno oil of previous generations. If you use a regular, non synthetic oil in your engine, generally you will be able to get 5000 miles out of it before the oil needs to be changed. I do so every 5000 miles.

If you are using a modern synthetic oil, then 10,000 miles will be standard procedure, but how often you change your oil is entirely up to you. At Toyota we use Castrol and Mobile synthetic and non synthetic oils which are rated to 10,000 and 5,000 miles respectively, and we suggest to customers that they change their oil at those regular intervals, as well as rotate their tires every 5,000 miles.

So, the entire "Oil Change" procedure should not involve just changing your oil, but it should be considered more of a "Minor Maintenance Interval", meaning you change your oil and filter, rotate your tires, and inspect components such as your air filter, as well as the integrity of your vacuum lines and general engine components. One thing a lot of people miss is also checking their coolant levels. Doing these things at every oil change can help ensure that your Jeep is running happily for a long time. Here is a BASIC list of things that should be done at every oil change:

-Change oil and oil filter
-Rotate tires
-Inspect engine air filter
-Inspect vacuum lines
-Inspect engine coolant.

All of this can easily be done in about half an hour or less, aside from rotating the tires, it can all be done while you're letting the oil drain from the engine.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Chris

Join Date Nov 2011

Personally I would never run synthetic oil in an old motor that was not designed with it in mind. Just like in my ford I run partially synthetic because that is what is was built for. I tend to stick with what the engineers design them to do and no matter what oil I put in I would never run to 10,000 miles between changes. Just my personal opinion. Lets not ruin this sticky.

Garage Retreat
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
klbdiver

Join Date May 2012

I'm with you on that synthetic thing Chris. I put synthetic in one of vehicles in the past and never felt comfortable with going 10k on the oil change. Those who do their own oil changes know how dirty and smelly just after 3000 or 4000 miles the oil gets. Can't imagine what it would be after 10k miles.
klbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
over50club

Join Date Jun 2012

My daughters bmw recommended oil change every 15,000. mobil 1
over50club is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement