Lets see your lighting setups!! - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Wrangler Discussions > Lighting

WranglerBoard.com is the premier Jeep Wrangler Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Xpress
It's hip to be square.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Join Date Nov 2011

FWIW, just because something doesn't have a DOT label doesn't mean you can't use it. A DOT label means that the DOT Corporation has tested the product and found it to be compliant with their standards. Certain things in California need this label, but otherwise I haven't read much about headlights. Honestly, if your setup is done properly, nobody will care.

Just because a product hasn't been tested doesn't mean it's unsafe. Most states allow HID lighting as long as they are compliant, meaning they can't emit blue light. So anything from 3000-8000k is fine, but anything above that is just plain rude to other drivers. I know a couple of guys that have PURPLE as can be lights and they are extremely distracting and blinding. i'm surprised the police haven't pulled him over for it.
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
Otahyoni
The Amish Wolfman

Join Date Nov 2011

I've seen the purple hids.....How can you possibly see anything with those?

When i got mine i think they were either 3000k or 4500k....they're the color of silverstars, but a lot brighter.
Otahyoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
Xpress
It's hip to be square.

Join Date Nov 2011

probably 4500k or so. Purple doesn't make sense. Most go after the look, but who cares when you can't even see it from being blinded?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
Xpress
It's hip to be square.

Join Date Nov 2011

Too bad I don't have pics of my HID's... I can see probably a good mile with them (and i'm not even kidding!!!). Was climbing one of my usual hangout spots with a couple of buddies when one of them piped up and said "DUDE LOOK IT'S LIGHTING UP THE MOUNTAIN!" which according to Google Earth is 4,600ft. away We could clearly see the rocks and shrubbery surrounding them.

And that's only a pair of 55w HID's in KC Daylighters. I think I am going to buy another set of Daylighter spotlights to mount on the windshield. Can NEVER have enough light

Will get pics ASAP.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Otahyoni
The Amish Wolfman

Join Date Nov 2011

I'm gonna be in the market soon for at least 4 more lights. How much are the HIDs you have Xpress? Would it be cheaper to just get reg lights and a conversion kit?
Otahyoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #16
Xpress
It's hip to be square.

Join Date Nov 2011

Converting a pair of 6" round Halogen bulbs to HID is the inexpensive route. Total cost for me is less than $200.

I am using DDM Tuning HID's. Go for the Raptor 55w kits:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

5000k is white, get the correct bulb style, DON'T buy the high/low beam bulbs for spotlight or offroad light only applications.

You will need to mount the lights in a location where you can mount the ballasts in close proximity. If you extend the wires from the ballast to the bulb you will need to use a low resistance high voltage wire (it takes approximately 25,000 volts to ignite the HID bulb at around 6.5 amps for 55w bulbs- about 163 watts for startup). DON'T use speaker wire, or the stock KC Daylighter wire, like what I used- the ballast won't ignite the bulb

Shipping is a bitch for DDM Tuning but they deliver good products.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 AM   #17
Xpress
It's hip to be square.

Join Date Nov 2011

Got a set of KC HiLiGHTS with Driving beam, 55w. Bumper happened to have holes conveniently drilled in it (for what I assume would be for a tow bar), so they got mounted on the outer holes, and the wires ran through the inner holes. Took about 45 mins to put them in and get them wired up (including a partial disassembly of the dash to install the new rocker switch, and route the wires behind). Results are great, I aimed them with the low beams (well slightly lower to help in the fog) and they're impressive. Can easily see with low beams, and when flipping to high beams the entire road is lit up for quite a ways. Not hardly blinding at all, I am very satisfied.

This is my 55w Sylvania headlights, low beam. They work fine for driving on the street.

55w KC lights with low beams on the headlights.

Headlights, KC driving lights, and 55w HID spotlights on.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
Xpress
It's hip to be square.

Join Date Nov 2011

Added this reverse light earlier today:

Wired it into the reverse light circuit, LOT brighter than before.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
RikRotorhead
Internet Owner

Join Date Nov 2011

Are you running the stock alternator?
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #20
Xpress
It's hip to be square.

Join Date Nov 2011

Yes. And yes the voltage does drop if I have all the lights on. Soon to upgrade... Need an internal regulated alternator... Upgrading the wires too...
Advertisement