Vacumn axle cylinder - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Jeep Wrangler OEM Forum

WranglerBoard.com is the premier Jeep Wrangler Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
JLC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Join Date Mar 2017
Default Vacumn axle cylinder

Greetings all. Admittedly new at this. Recently acquired a 91 YJ with vacumn cylinder on front axle. Used to have a 79 CJ5. Don't understand the purpose of this unit as opposed to the older design. Doesn't appear as though 4wd is engaging as dash lamp not lighting. checked bulb, switch and wiring, all good. would it be better to lose the cylinder and lock the fork in the engaged position? Am I to understand engagement on the 4wd is dependent on the sliding clutch engaging to turn the lamp on as opposed to the act of moving the lever into position and having the lamp come on immediately when the transfer case is engaged, thereby creating a "lag time" before you are notified the 4wd is functioning?

Last edited by JLC; 03-28-2017 at 10:33 PM.
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
havasu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Join Date Nov 2011

The vacuum is what engages the 4 wheel drive. I once ripped the vacuum hose off the front end of my YJ, so I bought the cable engagement system to replace this. I feel it is a much better action. Took about an hour to install it, but way better IMHO.
Click image for larger version

Name:	16289-lg (1).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	48602  
havasu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement