Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Homemade flat fender write up.

38K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  eumel789 
#1 ·
This is what I did incase anyone else wants to give it a shot. These are probably no stronger than any stock fender but in my book I would rather have my fender crush then do damage to something more inportant. My goal was to keep as much of the stock fender and all of the inner fender as I could.

I started out by lining masking tape where I wanted to trim my stock fenders and trimmed away. Since I am using 1" tube I cut a small piece and laid it under the fender and drew a line that was about the halfway point.

I trimmed the fender on the downslope about 1/2" before I hit the inner fender, I was going to add a tube there but decided it would do any good so left it out. On the front I cut it about 1/4" behind the factory seem. Now I don't own a tube bender so I had to improvise, I decided I would go with two 45 degree bends to make up the 90 needed. I don't have a pics of this step but what I did was cut each piece at a 22.5 degree bend and spin it around to make a 45 if that makes sense to you. I fully welded the 45's and then put it in place and tack welded the original fender sheet metal to the tube.

As to try and not warp the metal to bad and burn holes in it I just tacked the hole thing grinded it and tacked again.

When I was done tacking I grinded it all smooth, I then added a small piece of gusset in the front for a little more strength and looks of course. I added a strip of sheet metal about 1" x 7" between the fender and grill so that I could weld everything together fine.

From here i used a small amount of body filler to try and hide the weld as much as possible.

After sanding I primed and painted, I used spray paint but have since redone my paint with auto paint. What do you think? All in all it was about 8 hours work for both side, it took me longer on the first side as I cut way to much metal out and had to weld it back in, I am very happy with them and maybe have 25 bucks invested.

See less See more
#9 ·
Shipping to me? Chris will deliver them to me for beer. Cheap beer even. :D

#25 ·
If you are talking about my headlights they are just cheap Ebay HID conversions. Not bad but not great, they do look cool.

You mean thos tan cans that say beer or a re ya gonna splurge on some Old Milwaukee, Slitch or Ham's?
Those are the ones I drink, Rik is all high class and wants to spend money on beer.

#29 ·
No problem. The ones I had only had HID low beams since you cannot get ones that change the brightness and had regular bulbs for high beams. I kind of liked that feature so when going through town after a night of wheeling I can just blend in with regular lights.

#30 ·
Ya I don't really want to bright of light for headlights, I shine in people's back windows enough. Dont need to completely blind them lol :) now do you have a problem with the width of your headlight beam? Because mine is maybe a few feet wide, it's very narrow. Is that from just having square light?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.