Boomerang shackles - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Advanced YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum

WranglerBoard.com is the premier Chrysler Jeep Wrangler Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
101screamingeagles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Join Date May 2012
Default Boomerang shackles

So im wanting to buy some boomerang shackles, but I was wanting to know would they lift my jeep like a regular lift shackle? Because I'm pretty sure I already have lift shackles, but I'm not sure lol. And can someone explain what a shackle reversal kit does thanks guys
101screamingeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Chris

Join Date Nov 2011

Your stock shackles are 4" from center eye to center eye.

For every 1" of length you add to a shackle you will get 1/2" of lift whether they are straight or boom shackles.

If you get over 1" of lift (6" Shackle) you will be changing your steering geometry and it will no longer center itself very well after a turn.

Boom shackles look cooler and if done right can prevent shackle inversion or keep them from hitting the bumper.

Shackle reversal is not a whole lot diferent then what you have but you will need to change a few things to get it right.

Right now your front axle want to push forward when you hit rocks or whatever, reverse that and it will want to move back.

Some say you get a smoother ride out of a reversal but 6 in one hand and half dozen in the other.

If you do a reversal chack your driveshaft to make sure you will not shove it through your Tcase.

Hope this helps a little.

Garage Retreat
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
101screamingeagles

Join Date May 2012

Do booms come in lift type? Or are they just one length? I'm trying to get better flex, I was told to get boom shackles because they "twist" better. And I want 6" because I want to put 35s under my jeep. And yes that helped a lot anymore insight in this that would he great. How did you et so much flex out of your jeep?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Chris

Join Date Nov 2011

They come in any length you want. I had my first set custom made and the second set I got off ebay for like 25 bucks from one of the fab guys that cruises the forums.

On my current jeep I run 3/4" Lift shackles in the front and 5/8" lift shackles in the rear.

I got that much flex by taking off my track bars and sway bars adding Boom shackles and greased the crap out all parts that can move including bolts, bushings on the springs and shackles. Also have softer bushings and have somewhat softer spring (really just old and worn out) My front springs are a little tweaked now from flexing but to me it is all worth it.

Also make sure your steering is not binding up anywhere.

Garage Retreat
Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Chris

Join Date Nov 2011

Also I recommend 33's on your jeep. Unless you are sprung over or have crazy lift they will just get all caught up in your wheel wells. They will look cool on road but probably not help you much off road. I was able to stuff my 33's to the point where they barely touched anything although that required a sawzall and grinding wheels.

Also on the flex issue make sure your shocks are not binding. I got rid of the top post kind and made adapters the use the eye hole type and nothing bound there.

Garage Retreat
Old 08-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
101screamingeagles

Join Date May 2012

Well trac bars are gone per your advice a while back still yet to get sway bar quick discos. Wanting to buy booms when I get the money, my leafs are stil stiff need to wear them down more. Also want to buy a bushing kit for the jeep and ya 33s are more practical. How hard is a SOA? And would you trust store bought SOA kits? And with a 4 banger like mine I want gears in the 5s, would you recommend that? Thanks for the insight
Old 08-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
aw12345

Join Date Jan 2012

The mighty four banger does well with 4.88 gears and 33's or 35's you cannot get into the 5.13 or 5.38 range unless you use bigger axles
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
101screamingeagles

Join Date May 2012

Say I were to do a 8.8 swap like I want to, would I be able to go higher than 4.88s since instill have the 30 up front? If not no biggie I originally wanted 88s but my buddy made a good point since I want 35s but if your saying 88s do well with 33 and 35 with my little torquey 4 banger than hopefully I'll be good. Lol
Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
Chris

Join Date Nov 2011

How is it flexing so far? You need to at least disconnect the sway bar and try it out.

Garage Retreat
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
101screamingeagles

Join Date May 2012

How hard was it to change your upper shock mounts to te eye lit type? And I'll take pictures later today with the sways disconnected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement