Launching a Heavy Boat - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Wrangler Discussions > Tow Rigs

WranglerBoard.com is the premier Jeep Wrangler Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
anthonydel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Join Date Feb 2017
Default Launching a Heavy Boat

Hey all - Just purchased a 2015 Willys 2dr and have a question.

I was curious if anyone has any experience or knows if these JKs are able to launch a heavy boat. I have a 24' Chaparral Boat that weighs 4,400lbs dry... figure another 1000lbs with trailer and gas. The boat is trailered at the lake, I literally pull the boat from the parking spot, drive it 500 feet to a ramp to drop in or pull out.

Also for what it's worth, it didn't come with a factory hitch, I'm installing one of those 4 bolt add on hitches if that makes a difference. The tongue weight will play a factor as well I know, but taking it one step at a time here...

Can it handle?

Thanks!

Anthony

Last edited by anthonydel; 02-22-2017 at 04:21 PM.
anthonydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
havasu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Join Date Nov 2011

I have a 25' Warlock World Class, that tips the scale at about 5000 lbs. Add the trailer and 60 gallons of fuel, I'm looking at about 6,000lbs. I've used my CJ, TJ and YJ to put the boat in and to pull it out. Keep in mind that my summer house is only about 1/4 mile from the launch ramp, and have never had a problem. Getting a nice HD receiver that can hold a tongue weight of 450 - 500 lbs is critical.

The only issue I ever had was using the YJ. It was only a 4 cylinder, so when I hit one of the numerous speed bumps in my neighborhood, I would pull a wheelie. I would never attempt any high speeds with that 4 cylinder engine since it is just too light.

Your situation is very similar. Do you have 2wd or 4wd? I'm hoping 4wd. Place the jeep in compound low, and just idle up the ramp. If the ramp is wet, it would help to reduce the air pressure a bit.

Please keep in mind that Jeep will say no way. From my personal experience, I say yes, it can be done safely, provided you have a nice frame mounted, bolt on trailer hitch, grade 8 bolts, and spot welding for extra assurance. and capable of a tongue weight of 400 lbs minimum.

Last edited by havasu; 02-22-2017 at 07:00 PM.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hitch, launch, max, tow, weight