Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Synthetic winch lines

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Otahyoni 
#1 ·
I would like to know if they are worth the additional costs? Is anyone concerned about ozone degrading the line?

#2 ·
Ozone? I would be more concerned about the sunlight degrading the line, or mildew, or some critter just plain chewing on it...

Seems like a good idea, but i'm used to a steel cable (and i'm cheap), so thats probably what i'll stick with.

#6 ·
I run steel cable. I see no reason to spend he extra $$ on it. Cable is stonger and durable and I have used it on every rig I ever had and it has never let me down. As long as replace it if it gets damaged the winch being used would never be stong enough to break it.

#7 ·
No it is not stronger, a common misconception.

A synthetic wire rope rated at 19000lbs is just as a strong as a steel cable rated at 19000lbs.

Synthetic rope doesn't rust or kink. The individual strands won't slice your hands open like a steel strand will.

Synthetic rope won't cause severe bodily injury when it snaps...it simply falls to the ground. Steel cable will take a off a limb, or worse.

Synthetic rope is easily repaired on the trail without having to resort to a handful of u-clamps and wrenches.

Synthetic rope is also a helluva lot lighter than steel. That means less weight up front to drag you down.

Steel may be cheaper....but that's the only place where it beats synthetic rope.

#8 ·
like I said before if properly maintained...... it won't break so no reason to worry about that one...wont rust so no reason to worry about that one....wont cut you hand so again no reason to worry about that one...is not kinked and there is no reason for trail repairs.. It all comes down to properly maintaining your stuff. I can live with the weight. So I respectfully disagree wth you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.